new HVAC not cooling

Did you pull a permit, is one required in your area, what does the contract say because inspectors help by checking work for free. If I had a non performing , wrongly oversized AC that will now leave me more humid I would make the installer put in the right unit, I bet he didnt do a load calc in writing, which is to your benefit if you did have 2 ton before, You hired a crooked hack if he oversized you, as you state you cooled before with 2 ton.

Reply to
ransley

Did the guy come back and checkthe refrigerant level? If not, call him and keep calling.

When we bought a new system years ago, they turned it on and left. It never cooled worth a damn and I could never get them back out to check it. When they set it up originally, the guy said somebody would be back out to check it and get the freon level right. That person never came. A couple of years later I got somebody else out who found the thing was quite low, and once that was fixed it worked much better.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Wayne,

Your reply makes me curious........how many tons of a/c do you need to be able to get a 50 degree temperature drop for how many square feet of living space? What would be a typical electric bill during the summer months? Thanks,

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

A couple of things you can check.

  1. I figure when they upgraded you to a 2.5-ton from a 2-ton condensing unit they replaced the evaporator coil. If so, look around the system and see if you have any air leaks.
  2. The system may have never been charged properly in the first place. I would have another service tech out from another company come out double check their work and see if you need further work. Just have him check the system, labor only, and if he finds problems then contact the company that did the work.
Reply to
Moe Jones

Reply to
amdx

I think his questions is good for aly.hvac. The pros don't like it when another one does a poor installation. They will tell him what needs to be done. Mike

Reply to
amdx

It's a 3 ton high efficiency unit. House is 1500 sq. ft. The walls have a

6" insulation space with R50 insulation, as does the roof. The house is 1- 1/2 years old. We're on "averaged billing" which runs $165/mo. year round. It's also an all-electric home.

Wayne...

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 06:56:12a, Smarty told us...

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Check the basics first. See if the pipe leaving the compressor is cold and sweating, if it is, its probably charged right. Also check to see if some ducts were closed inadverdantly. Was there a new air handler put in too? Its possible the fan speed has changed. Also check if your filters are clean.

Reply to
Mikepier

That is a lot smaller than I would have guessed. I too am in a 1500 square foot house, but in the northeast, have 3 tons of a/c, and probably average about the same electricty cost as you do, but I have a 60 year old house with much less insulation and never need to pull the temperature down more than about 25 degrees, usually only 15 degrees. I also have a hefty winter gas bill for heating. I would have imagined that Phoenix was a lot more tonnage of a/c but apparently not.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I'd be curious as to what material you were ripped off for that claimed R-50 in five and a half inches of wall....

do tell....

S. Barker

The pipe leaving the compressor should be about 200 degrees F. When the system is running. Or even hotter. Fortunately, it's encased, and you can't touch it unless you remove access panels.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, I meant the pipe going into the compressor should be cold The pipe could also be checked at the air handler.

Reply to
Mikepier

Not always. This may be the case with r22, but with 410a, the line barely feels warm at all.

S. Barker

Yes, generally a suction line on a working AC gets cold.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The major difference is that my house is new and heavily insulated. Similar size houses here that are older and less insulated might need up to a 5 ton unit.

On Wed 11 Jun 2008 04:38:31a, Smarty told us...

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jun 2008 05:55:04a, S. Barker told us...

I have no idea what it is. Only a certification of the builder that the insulation was rated at R50.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

You better look into the "certification" because I think you are entitled to a refund and have an easy claim. I know of no foam that is more than R 7.2" new, before stabilising at near R 6.7". I would like to know of any product that is better than R 7.2" foam, at even 6" thick that is only R 43.2 , 5.5" of R 6.7 foam =3D R 36.85.

There are also different foams which range from R 4 and up. Maybe he put in something like "reflextic" but I dont believe their "independant" rating and question product life.

In reality I dont see how a wall 6" total, with 5.5" of the best product on the market could be advertised at maybe more than R 43. I would like to buy a R 50 wall, so would anybody.

Reply to
ransley

How does the system release heat, if the discharge refrigerant is "barely feels warm"?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thu 12 Jun 2008 06:22:36a, ransley told us...

As I said, I have no idea, and I don't even know if it's foam or another material. In any event, it's the best insulated house we've ever owned.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Beats me. I didn't design the shit. I have 3 systems with 410a and all of them just barely feel warm right out of the outdoor unit, and they all work great.

S. Barker