New HVAC correct fuse?

On the final inspection of a Trane 14 Li Air Conditioner, the city inspector noticed 2 25 Amp fuses instead of the rated 30 Amp. I knew the contractors were coming for another issue so I assured him that I would have the correct fuses installed. He signed off the permit to save a trip back. The installer says the rating is 20 to 30 amps and a 25 amp is fine. Who is correct?

Reply to
Nick C Topolos

It does say 30 amp max.

Reply to
Nick C Topolos

"instead of the rated 30 Amp" where? the size of the disconnect or the nameplate on the unit?

Overcurrent devices/wire should be sized to the equipment, per the manufactures recommendations and length of run. Somewhere on the name plate of the equipment it will say,,,,, "maximum fuse size" as well as minimum circuit capacity. Look in your paper work and you will find the right size.

Reply to
SQLit

Look at the "spec plate" on the unit (on one of the corners) and it will tell you the max fuse size for the unit.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Put some 30s in and make the inspector happy. Believe it or not, it would probably run fine with 20s, but what the hey....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

There is no safety issue involved. If it blows the 25s, put in 30. That is the maximum size allowed. Minimum circuit ampacity is the wire size.

Reply to
gfretwell