New Garage Floor

30 days? I remember when I had my driveway done, I was able to drive on it after 3 days. Is there differnet curing times for different mixes of concrete?
Reply to
Mikepier

Sounds like they've not taken proper measures to prevent cracking (reinforcement, sectional grooving, whatever), and are setting you up. "No wonder it cracked, sir, you drove onto it too soon!" Maybe they skimped on the base prep, or slab thickness too. Who knows? Ask them why.

Concrete will crack. You just want it to be "under control."

Depending on your weather, you should be able to use it in a couple of days.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Forget Thompsons it is largely wax. HC Oil concrete stain has held up for 10 years for me. Stain wont peel and penetrates, at Sherwin Williams. I used to be in the paint business and like HCs properties. Epoxy would be another option. The floor must be etched well first with Muriatic Acid a fuming dangerous procedure

Reply to
m Ransley

We recently had our old garage floor removed - it was asphalt and replaced with concrete. It looks great and I'd like to keep it lookin ghtat way. we were told not to park the car on it until it's cured for at least 30 days.

I've been exploring different treatments to do to the floor, as I would expect that once we start parking on it we'll have the potential for oil, grease and winter salt to mar the finish.

I am considering a plastic floor covering similar to those sold here:

I'm curious to hear feedback from those who have used it and also other ideas that I should consider - Thompson's Water Seal, epoxy systems, garage floor paint, etc.

TIA, Sandy K.

Reply to
Sandy K.

Within a week it better be set.

BTW you do know you should be keeping it wet for about that time too. Helps the concrete cure stronger.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

most homeowners don't acid etch their epoxy floors and usually they don't have problems. paul oman progressive epoxy polymers

Reply to
Paul Oman