New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ?

Hello:

Have a deck that was coated with Thompsons Water seal about 5 years ago by previous owner.

Would like to re-coat, but with a "better" sealer; perhaps one of the ones that Olympic offers.

Not sure which is the best; any opinions on ?

Anyway, I understand that Thompson's is basically a wax based sealer.

Therefore, my question is: can I use one of the other sealers available now over this successfully, or would the wax content of Thompsons probably prevent absorption of the new, presumably non wax based, sealer ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

After 5 years , I assume the sealer has pretty much worn off. You should be ok as long as you power wash it.

Reply to
Mikepier

when I used thompson's, it seemed like I hardly got a year out of it. (but then I think they do say to recoat each year). So, if you properly clean it, and do the "water absorption" test, you shouldn't have any problems recoating it.

My deck passed the water absorption test before I cleaned it, that's why I figured the seal failed after 1 year.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

Even the best "sealers" will not last over 18 months. And they all work pretty much the same way. If you don't want to be doing this every year or

2 at the most, stain...not seal.

Reply to
curmudgeon