New Deck Ideas

I'm building a large deck behind my house and YES I plan on taking a long time to do this, this is a late summer / fall project. The house has a walkout basement so the deck will be roughly 9 feet off the ground and wind down to a large stamped concrete section. So I'm looking for design ideas or websites that will give me some idea's. I also need a resource for DO it Yourself concrete stamping (Canada, Ontario).

Right now I have a ton of heavy lumber that has been treated and is ready to use, it ranges from 10" x 10" to 5" x 7" some lengths of the 10" x 10" are over 25 feet. I plan on using this for "looks" and corner posts and stringers but not the actual decking support or deck. I'll purchase some 2 x

8 or 2 x 10 for this.

Also when I pour the concrete slab what is the typical slope used to keep water away from the house?

Last question on the one side is a driveway down to my shop, I want to add a better retaining wall along this side so that I can open up more ground space, How deep should the footings go and what thickness should I make the retaining wall? Remember there is a gravel driveway on the other side that is used once and a while. Idea's to keep it from leaning after a few years?

Reply to
HotRod

Jim Conway

Heck I went to Chapters and couldn't find a single book that just had deck idea's. All I really want is a magazine with a ton of decks in it so I can pick and choose what I like and want. I don't care how to build it I just want ideas...

Reply to
HotRod

Jim,

Do you have any experience with this All Handyman service in Methuen, MA? Just curious as this looks similar to something that I'd like to have built, and I'm in the greater Boston area.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
MPost

sorry Steve. Can't help you there.