Neighbor problem

??? The OP already staed clearly that zoning prohibits a fence of any kind.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I would either ignore the situation or plant a hedge. I'd prefer not "making waves" with neighbors.

Reply to
Phisherman

Paint political slogans on it, like "Zoning sucks!" and tell them they're infringing on your 1st amendment rights.

Reply to
default

No, they probably won't. Property-line disputes are civil matters, not criminal ones. The police have FAR better things to do than worry about neighbours who mow each other's lawns.

Regards,

George Wenzel

Reply to
George Wenzel

On the paper the boundaries are not fuzzy of course, but on the ground things might be different. On one side of our property, our sprinklers and our neighbor's sprinklers straddle the boundary; i.e., some of our sprinklers are closer to his house, while some of his sprinklers are closer to our house.

We and our neighbors on both sides are occasionally mowing each other's grass.

And then there is our shed (built by a previous owner), which, according to the survey, has a corner intruding six inches into the property of the neighbor at the back, so I am probably mowing some of his grass when I mow around the back of the shed. I have no idea whether he knows about the wrongly positioned shed, and I am not going to ask him.

We and our neighbors on both sides all moved in within months of each other. So far there has not been a problem.

MB

On 09/14/04 09:22 pm Phisherman put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

so if someone won't leave your property, don't expect help from the cops? this is more of a trespass than property dispute. it is already proven where the boundary is.

distruction of property (scalping unowned lawn) is criminal.

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1

That's not the situation here.

True, but somebody cutting their neighbour's lawn is no more trespassing than a kid delivering flyers to the door.

Good luck getting a conviction.

Regards,

George Wenzel

Reply to
George Wenzel

I think what Frost meant was that some mysterious force of nature didn't like the wall, as nature was always tearing the wall down after the two men rebuilt them over and over. And that maybe we should learn from this -- although the neighbor doesn't seem to get it.

Personally, I think Frost is all wet, but it is a nice poem.

Perhaps more interesting to this news group is a parody of "Mending Wall" called "Mending Sump." It begins, "Hiram, I think the sump is backing up," and proceeds in this manner to "Something there is that doesn't hump a sump, she said...."

Reply to
Tom Miller

The legal issue is a serious one, although I have no idea how it applies where I live.

I agree that plants could be the simple solution to a potentially serious dispute. Worth a try, IMO. Make sure none of the branches hang over the property line :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I think he's conceding the point, but arguing against the wall anyway.

YMMV. :)

Reply to
Dan Hartung

That should work and a good idea. See if he stays off the line. Remember you are trying to break someone's habit--sometimes not an easy thing to do!

The hedge seems to be the best idea. You can tell your neighbor you plan on installing a hedge to help define the property line. Be sure you plant the hedge inside your property and not on the line (unless your neighbor agrees). But, I would not mention the hedge to the neighbor unless you really plan to do it if he does not comply.

Be sure to be extra friendly to your neighbor. Offer cookies, a beer, or invite him over for lunch to make sure there are no hard feelings. Having good neighbors is a big plus, even if you need to be a little tolerant at times.

Reply to
Phisherman

I agree. Make the decision sound as if it has nothing to do with your underlying property line complaint since that just ups the emotion. Just say you want a hedge on the edge of your yard. I would definitely mention it to him but just in terms of a courtesy thing and make sure you mention that you will be sure to put it inside the property line. In this way you are not being an ogre, and the guy really can't even complain and you are essentially resolving the property line dispute with th hedge. You can even mention that the hedge was the reason you had the property line marked. Darn, it works out well...Plus you'll give yourself a little privacy....

Reply to
Rob Gray

I agree, the cops generally have bigger fish to fry. However on a call like this, they will very likely go over and talk to the neighbor, which may be enough to solve the problem. It is a trespass issue and the cops would rather be done with it by talking to the guy and at least seeing what he has to say, rather than having it escalate into some kind of confrontation that they have to deal with later.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Unless he agrees? Why look for more trouble. Here you have an unreasonable neighbor trespassing after being told not to, so why in the world would you tell someone to even consider planting a hedge to be shared with the neighbor?

But, I would not mention the hedge to the

Reply to
Chet Hayes

You have heard of adverse possession, haven't you? The laws vary from state to state, but basicly, if someone does what this neighbor is doing and it meets certain conditions, like it's open, notorious, hostile, (sounds to me like he's met those criteria) done for a long enough time, etc., then that person can have a legal claim to the property. At the very least, if he wants to allow it to continue, then he should get a legal opinion. But if it were me, I see nothing wrong with standing up for my rights and keeping someone else off property I own.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Adverse possesion can occur, but I have never heard of it being applied in a sub-division with suburban sized lots. Such lots are relatively small and easily defined. It would be impractical and almost impossible for someone to grab 5 feet here and 10 feet there from such a lot. Adverse possesion occurs in rural and sometimes industrially zoned areas almost entirely. If someone is using a piece of another's land for a long enough time with the real owner making no attept to enforce his rights then occasionally that used portion of the land can become the possesion of the person using it. This does not happen in suburban lots even if some guy mows his neighbor's lawn for 50 years.....

Reply to
Rob Gray

keeping my

Blow a hit of pot smoke in his face and just hope for civil war so you can legally kill the goddaMNED BASTARD. This is a squatters technique that the government aides in using against people who do not fit to the dictations of the tyrants who rule the police states. I had a neighbor that put a driveway on my property. I complained to the government and they hit me with a baseball bat. But I cannot do anything about it because George Bush and the secret service already kidnapped me, drugged me and planted a microchip in my back. My family started the us military and the solution Grandpa Bomb had with George Washington to blow the hell out of them and send them back to Britian.

Fuck em in their christian jew cop asses.

Reply to
Yankee Rebel

Civil war is the only answer available.

Only the strong will survive.

Exterminate the christian jew cop government.

Reply to
Yankee Rebel

FICUS Bushes ruin grass the best.

Civil War 2004

Reply to
Yankee Rebel

snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Criminology you moron. Goddamned where did you get your edumacation? The bible?

Civil war is the best response to get the freedom and respect we deserve.

Death to the christian jew cop government. blah blah blah christian jew cop psychobabble.

Reply to
Yankee Rebel