Need Some Advice on phone line Problems

I don't know if this is the right group to be asking this question in, but perhaps someone can help me out.

I have a rats nest of phone wires converging on something called a "66B4-B Jumper Block" down in my basement. I have phone jacks with

4-wire line at various locations in the basement, and I can only get one line to work although we have 2 lines in the house. I bought a little LED tester that plugs into the phone jack, and it checks for crossed wires, whether there's 2 lines present, and other things. I suspect that something is screwed up at the jumper block because it's just too easy to snag a wire there out in the open and pull it loose.

Rather than calling in the phone company, or spending $100 on something called a tone generator, is there any cheaper way to find out what's wrong with this line?

And if a tone generator kit is the only answer, can anyone tell me where I can get the bare minimum unit new or used? Or if someone knows of a web site that ttoally explains how to wire a Jumper block, I do have the line in question ID'd, I just don't know why it's not working as a 2-line system.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Mike

Reply to
drgrafix

Trace and label everything.

Rip everything out and start anew.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Maury... You got mail. Guy, that's a distinct possibility, but is it worth it when 5 phone jacks are working fine and one isn't?

I was in HD this afternoon and came across an RCA Telephone Interface Box, it's about 7" long, 3" wide and 1" deep. Opened it and it's basically a screw-terminal junction box for phone lines. It looked kinda'cheesy, so I was reluctant to get one.

The other thing that bothers me is there are some striped wires in that rats nest too, though none are directly connected to the 66B4-B I mentioned earlier. They are connected like splitters with squeeze crimp type phone company clamps, and then theres also a couple of those disc-style clear connectors.

I need to get a digital picture so maybe someone can ID what is going on. (maybe)

Mike

Reply to
drgrafix