Need quick advice about Bostitch 2in1 nailer

It won't drive the nails that came with it through 1/2" quarter round and baseboards with a couple drops of oil, 100 psi through 100' of

3/8" hose (fitting MIGHT be < 3/8"). It is adjusted to maximum depth as it was out of the box.

Is it defective, or incapable of the work I am doing (should I exchange it and hope the next one is better)? I believe one of the home improvement stores has a similar heft nailer that is only a one-purpose finish nailer (no staples) - would it pack more punch?

TIA!

Reply to
Stephen Kurzban

Turn the pressure up to 120. Try it.

100 feet of hose is a LONG way pump air without loss.
Reply to
Conase

Yes

Yes. I don't have it hand though.

If you take a singe shot, the hose length will be of little consequence. If you do repeated hits, there is not enough volume in the hose to keep up. Larger diameter hose will help.

Do a little experiment of a scrap. Take a sing shot, the take six or eight repeated shots and see what happens. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I found that pushing the nose harder against the work yielded better results MOST of the time - when it didn't I used a (large) nail set which made a bigger hole in the trim than I wanted, but nothing caulk wouldn't fill.

MY compressor is not quite what it should be - only 100 psi max regulated, tank pressure about 125 max and only 20 gal. and probably 3 hp (don't recall off the top of my head).

I guess if I want to know if the tool will drive the brads it states are within its capacity, I need to remove the hoses and try a 20' or 25' length? Either that or "alter" the regulator on the compressor and see what happens at 120

- but if I do that, please answer this?:

The 100 psi in the instructions was stated to be an absolute maximum - is there any danger that higher static pressure can damage the tool? Is there a "formula" for what to expect in pressure or flow (cfm) losses per foot of hose for different size hoses (with or without restrictive fittings/couplings)? Last, is this typical of this tool or "class of tools" under the circumstances, or do tools from particular manufacturers typically do better than others when driven at their maximum rated pressures and burdened with 100' of hose?

Lots of questions, I know, but hopefully not overly complicated for someone who's owned many types of nailers?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
jdworley