Need opinions on a diy home addition

I would like to add a room onto my garage/home to use as a workshop. I am recently retired and in great shape. I am also an inveterate diy'er. I have done sheetrock, layed tile, fixed plumbing, and do all of my own car work. Anyway, I have just toyed with the idea of doing the addition myself. I would like to know the wisdom of even considering such a project from someone who has done it. Am I biting off more than I can chew??

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Not if you've got a good set of plans and a nearby source of rental tools and materials. Don't be too proud to go for professional help where it makes good sense, like finishing the concrete. When you're done, hold a party and enjoy.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Have a lot of fun. My Dad did some stuff like that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Agreed. Have good plans before you start, at least for the foundation/shell/utilities. Don't need an architect, at least in most areas, but you do want an experienced residential designer who can come up with something safe and legal, that won't look 'tacked on' like so many DIY expansions do. (ie, lean-tos on the end of the garage.) It won't be that expensive, and will be a lot cheaper if you can come up with a set of the 'as built' blueprints for your house. Don't forget to take into account having enough juice for tools in the new space, along woth heating/cooling, and maybe water.

(slightly prejudiced, since my old man has been in the business of doing designs like that for 50 years or so.)

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers