Need New Dryer

Current Dryer: Kenmore Electric

If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized bath towels.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and wouldn't live without?

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going to cost $1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

Reply to
Bryan

you want the largest capacity for sleeping bags and king size blankets but simple controls and an energy star label. in buffalo ny natural gas is cheaper for drying clothes than electric. all gas dryers require outdoor venting only. your new gas dryer here would be free because the savings in utility cost would make the dryer payments, even if you need to pay a plumber to extend your gas line to the laundry. see also the samurai's free wisdom at:

buffalobill

update: energy star says: "What about Clothes Dryers? ENERGY STAR does not label clothes dryers because most dryers use similar amounts of energy.

To reduce the amount of energy your clothes dryer uses:

Use the moisture sensor option on your dryer, which automatically shuts off the machine when the clothes are dry. If your clothes washer has spin options, choose a high spin speed or extended spin option to reduce the amount of remaining moisture, thus starting the drying process before you put your clothes in the dryer. Air dry clothes whenever possible." at

where they discuss energy star washers.

Reply to
buffalobill

you can get a extra capacity standard gas dryer for 500 bucks or less, gas is much cheaper to operate than electric.

those front load washer and dryer pairs with stands are in the 1000 range, cost a little less to operate, but parts aand service are a killer.

here I have 2 washers and 2 dryers. doubles laundry speed:) and if anything breaks its no big deal. Although I had both dryers break once:(

How old is your dryer? You might be able to fix it cheap if your a bit handy:)

Reply to
hallerb

A grand for a dryer? You sure must love to overpay for stuff. Best advice I could give is to train your wife how to do laundry properly...

Joe

Reply to
Joseph E. Johnston

I'm not handy at all, but if I'm going to throw the thing out, what would it hurt (if I can figure out what's wrong and the part isn't too expensive) if I gave the repair a try. Broken is broken, right? I'll start another thread to discuss how to troubleshoot the dryer.

Reply to
Bryan

I sure don't want to spend a grand, but that's the going price at Sears for a dryer.

Reply to
Bryan

In most every case, gas is cheaper to operate. That would be my first choice. Thee may be exceptions, but my new electri rate is .169 kWh and going up antoher 5% in April.

That can be costly. The dryer needs room to tumble hte load for best eficiency. Have her pay the electric bill and she may change her habits.

My old Maytag is 24 years old, bt I've been hearing stories that they are not as well made today.

Sure, buy another brand at a local store. Sears is not the best priced anything, IMO. Local dealers mostly belowg to buyers co-ops now and sell at about the same price as the big store, and offer better service.. Good dryers run about $500 and up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check Consumer Reports at the library. A top electric is under $400. Gas is a bit higher. You can spend more if you want.

Reply to
Art

Gas, Gas, GAS! Gas anything is cheaper than electric. Way cheaper.

If they'd let me, I switch out my electric bulbs for gaslight!

Check the classified ads section of your newspaper. Better, check with an applicance repair shop for reconditioned, guaranteed units they may offer.

There is really not much that can go wrong with a dryer anyway - gas or electric. All it does is heat up and tumble around, which is what I presume make your wife so valuable.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks, I needed that; as well as the dryer tips.

Reply to
Bryan

I'm not handy at all, but if I'm going to throw the thing out, what would it hurt (if I can figure out what's wrong and the part isn't too expensive) if I gave the repair a try. Broken is broken, right? I'll start another thread to discuss how to troubleshoot the dryer.

its probably minor. so whats its trouble?

yeah you have nothing to lose!

Reply to
hallerb

and its better for your local economy too to support a smaller local store.

Reply to
Gazoo