need help with motion sensor

I have an existing motion sensor light controlled by a switch. Today, i installed a second motion sensor light in parallel with the first so that both are controlled by the single switch.

The switch is supposed to be in the "ON" position and the idea was that either or both motion sensors would illuminate once motion is detected. However i cannot get the new motion sensor light to come on. I do have current to the motion sensor as detected by my tester.

I cannot even get it come on even when i bypass the sensor.

Switch --------junction box (All black wires connected together, All white wires connected together, All ground connected together)-------First motion sensor |___Second Motion sensor

Any ideas.

Reply to
david

there is no led to indicate power to the unit but i do have a voltage detector pen which i used to test it with. I did put the unit in "test" mode but no luck. Do u see anything wrong with my wiring? I'm sure i not the first to do something light this.

Thanks for your reply

Reply to
david

It migght be the unit like he said.

How do you know you put the unit into test mode? What did you do to put it into test mode. What do you mean by test mode? Or skip to the next paragrraphs to save time. If you don't have a brainstorm there come back here and answer these three questions. :)

What did you mean in the first post where you said you bypassed the sensor? On the units I've seen, the sensor is wired directly to the light.

IIU your wiring, it's ok, but I see a problem with the whole idea. The units I've seen are taken from manual mode to automatic mode by turning the switch on and off and on, in some pattern that they explain. Unless your two lamps are exactly the same, the same on and off at the swtich won't have the same effect on both of them. And even if they are the same, maybe they interact with each other somehow.

Instead of bypassing the sensor, bypass or disconnect the first motion sensor and see if you can get the second one to work., As per your sketch.

mm

Q. How do you know you put the unit into test mode? What did you do to put it into test mode. What do you mean by test mode? Or skip to the next paragrraphs to save time. If you don't have a brainstorm there come back here and answer these three questions. :)

Ans,The motion sensor light is a Brinks which has dial that is turned all the way to put the unit into test mode so that the light will come on during daylight so u can set it.

Q.The units I've seen are taken from manual mode to automatic mode by turning the switch on and off and on, in some pattern that they explain. Unless your two lamps are exactly the same, the same on and off at the swtich won't have the same effect on both of them. And even if they are the same, maybe they interact with each other somehow.

Ans:Yes the Brinks unit i have can be turned on by flipping the switch from the on to off and on in 2 secs.

I have bought a replacement and will try again tomorrow.

Reply to
david

I don't see any problems or potential problems with what you've done. I've done it myself. Just looks like a bad unit

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for your help. It was a bad unit straight out of the box. I replaced it this morining and it works as i expected thanks

Reply to
david