need help with lawnmower

Greetings,

Try using starter fluid (EVERY TIME) if that makes it easy enough for you to start I would just live with it until that solution doesn't work anymore. Once that solution doesn't work come back and post again.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

I've had the same problem but in my case the gas was old, may have had water in it. If you dont close the seal tight, condensation will foul the fuel.

Reply to
John H.

My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out when it was running. I took it to the local neighborhood guy (he has a landscaping business & fixes mowers on the side) and he "tuned it up" and etc. and it ran fine. For awhile.

Then the pull rope broke. I replaced it. It ran fine.

Then a couple weeks later it became difficult to start. As in 15-20 pulls and a shoulder almost out of joint trying. And when it was turned off it wouldn't start again.

I took it back. He said it was the starter, and replaced it. Cost $80 for that and a wheel lock which was broken.

I took it home. I couldn't start it. I took it back. He said it was fine--he could start it on the third pull. Sometimes the first.

Meantime I'd borrowed my neighbor's mower which was indeed possible for me to start on the first pull. In fact, I often didn't even have to pull the rope out all the way.

I still can't start mine and am at my wits end. I think he doesn't know how to fix it, and doesn't see the problem. He says "its old" and like old things & people is now more difficult to start. I can't agree.

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it engaging the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and have to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my arm yanking on this crank.

Reply to
Betsy

My best advise: Buy a Honda

Reply to
RBM

Brand, model, age, size of mower and engine?

Reply to
Savvy 1

When was the last time you replaced the spark plug? Maybe it's time to do so again.

Does it smell "gassy" when you pull it over and it doesn't start? If it doesn't by the third or fourth pull then if it has a choke, that isn't working, or if it doesn't have one but uses a primer bulb you press two or three times, that isn't doing it's thing.

Try buying a spray can of automobile "starter fluid" and spray some into the air cleaner, then try and start it. If it fires right up, then you have a choke or primer problem.

Let us know what works and doesn't,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks. It has a primer bulb. I push it about 10 times (at his suggestion). I used to only have to push it 3 times. It smells gassy when I pull it and it doesn't start. I have wondered if I flooded it, so have come back and tried to start it without pushing the bulb. No dice.

He ma>> My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out

Reply to
Betsy

It's not very old--2000. And the lawnmower he owns is 15 years old, and started easily. There is a lot more initial resistance on the starter rope, but give it a good pull and it engages the engine.

Reply to
Betsy

I'll try it. Where do I get it--Pep boys, etc.? Is it called "automotive starting fluid"? When you say "in the air filter" is that on the filter itself, when removed (haven't done that yet) or in the housing when the filter is removed, or where. Sounds very mystifying to me. Is there a web page that might have a diagram?

Thanks.

Reply to
Betsy

He said it is old, and he may be right. If you are not getting much resistance, it could be because there is not enough compression, meaning it is old, and worn. Add to that an old plug, weak magneto = no start. could be a few other things also. Just how old is it? What engine?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

From your description it sounds like the engine in your lawn mower is worn. As the engine wears compression is reduced which causes you to have to pull the rope harder or faster than you had to when the engine was new. The only practical solution to this is to replace the motor. It can be repaired but with parts and labor prices being what they are it is often just cheaper to replace it.

Several have suggested that you use automotive starting fluid. This is an excellent suggestion and will probably get you several more years out of this mower. Just spray some starting fluid in the air filter and pull the rope. Should start up like a charm.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Behind the bulb is a small tube that the gas flows through. These tubes deteriorate. Replace it. Also start with a full tank of gas - makes it easier to suck the gas up.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

The "starter" ??? Doesn't make sense if this is a "pull start" machine. Unless he meant the recoil starter - the spring loaded mechanism that holds your pull cord. Maybe the "cogs" are not engaging - this would account for why he can start it and you can't. Before actually pulling, give a quick tug on the rope to engage the "cogs" - make it a short tug and you shouls quickly feel resistance.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

A plug is less than 5 bucks, and the wrench to change it yourself is another

5, if you don't have one already. Any of the big-box places will have them. Need to know engine size, brand, and year. If you can see any numbers on the old plug, write them down, or if you have a wrench, take the old plug with you. I'd definitely try that before spending more money elsewhere. It can't hurt, and it may help.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:07:40 -0400, "Betsy" wrote: (snip)

that sort of thing is why I went to a battery powered electric.

Reply to
Charles

Reply to
Betsy

This thread made my twisted mind conger up yet another good reason why those ardant feminists who'd like to see the world turn into a place where all babies are cloned and born female are barking* up the wrong tree.

You've proven why men are and will always be a necessary evil; Your repairMAN can start that well worn lousy compression engine, but you, a woman, lack the physiognomy to do so yourself.

Long live all muscular male starter rope pullers!!

Jeff (Ducking.....)

  • Any implicastion with female canines was unintended.
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Betsy, I know you have tried several things, so you might not object to a few more ideas.

First, try removing the air filter from your mower, and see how that works. If the problem goes away, you have a clogged or dirty air filter, so replace it.

Second, replace the gas in your mower's tank with fresh stuff. If the gas has been sitting there for many weeks (hopefully not from last season), it has probably gone bad. In the future, use a product called 'stabil' in your gas to keep it from going stale.

Thirdly, did you completely run the gas out of you mower last season. If any gas remained behind, it would probably turn to shellac, and plug up you carboretor. In that case, you will need to have it cleaned by a mechanic.

You basically need only three things to start an engine. Fuel, spark, and the correct air mixture. I have covered some of the overlooked problems. Be aware that using 'starting fluid' on a regular basis can deteriorate your engine and carboretor. It attacks all the plastic parts and does other damage, as well.

Hope this helps,

Sherw> My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out when

Reply to
sherwindu

Is it harder then before to pull start or is it just taking more pulls to start it?

Maybe try premium gas. Let it run out of gas before putting in new premium or drain the other gas out.

Reply to
benzette

It is called "Starting Fluid" and is available in the auto department of most any store that has an auto department. It is a typical spray can and costs a couple of bucks.

You haven't told us what kind of mower you have (and it probably wouldn't help much if you did) but you air filter has an opening somewhere that it pulls the air in from. Spray wherever the air will be sucked in. Not tooo much... just a coupe seconds.

I have an old mower myself that absolutely will not start without starting fluid but starts on half a pull with it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.