Need advice on Uber

I really dont' like what uber has done to regular cab drivers, but I need one at 4:15 in the morning, and seeing where they are on the screen, how far away from me they are, seems more reliable than calling a real taxicab,
But I have questions. I'm testing the system and there was a car on the map 5 minutes from me, and when I put in my destination it sort of lit up, got a rectangle next to him, with a big 5 in it.
Then I tapped the little i for info and it said it would come in 30 minutes.
So which is it? 5 or 30?
On one test it was 6 minutes in the map rectangle and it went down to 5, because I'm sure he was headed my way anyhow.
Also, the drivers don't know anything about my button pushing until I tap Confirm, right? No one thinks he's about to get a fare just because I give a destination and he's the closest to my house, right? I'd be really surprised if it didn't work this way.
I need this for early Wednesday morning. I wish I'd done more testing on weeknights.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 03:12:12 -0500, micky

BTW, I was only slightly interested in the price, but it has been interesting. In the day it was $30, at 11PM it increased to 31 and by 12 or 1AM it was down to $25, from my place a mile outside of the beltway to Johns Hopkins Outpatient place where they're gooing to give me a frontal reaming. Have to be there at 5 for a procedure that starts at 7 and is over about 9 and I can go home at 10.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 08:26:46 +0000, Bod

It's called a turp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/turp
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 07:56:27 +0000, Bod

Thanks. I'm not worried. (Though I had a similar procedure with a laser and it didn't really work. The procedure wasn't too much of a nuisance either.)
Unrelated, did you know they have been treating bladder stones for 3500 years. I don't know what they did then but 2200 years in Greece iirc they would put iirc two thin rods up your penis and manipulate them to crush the stone. The death rate was high but it seems not treating it also had a high death rate. In theory it was a good plan and imo you have to give them credit for thinking of it. . I am guessing most deaths were from infection. These days the success rate is about 100% iirc using ultrasound or something.
For some reason most bladder stones appear in people in their 30's and 40's.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:24:07 +0000, Bod

Actually, I was confused. It's kidney stones for which I've read that.
Perhaps some bladder stones are just larger kidney stones but that's just my speculation.

On 11/19/2018 8:47 PM, micky wrote:

No, different. They are formed in the bladder from crystals in the urine. I've had a few of them and they can cause some discomfort when you pass them. Most guys want a penis twice the size they have. When passing a stone you want one half size.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 20:59:14 -0500, Ed Pawlowski

And it's not all kidney stones but it is the most common ones iirc which are also esp. common in the area around Maryland iirc. Other kinds are uncommon.

I may have had a kidney stone on 3 occasions, but the x-rays didn't really show it the first two times, and they never got caught in the filter paper they gave me, and they never went clink or plop when it hit the toilet. The first time what they gave me didn't relieve the pain at all so they gave me morphine. That worked totally! and pretty darn quickly. I went to the toilet and fell asleep on the toilet, don't know how long. Went to reception and asked the woman to call me a cab, sat down, fell asleep and didn't hear them call for me when the cab came. Woke in morning, felt fine, walked home.
The second time I drove myself to the hospital. No morphine but again fell asleep on the toilet. Drove home.
The 3rd time didn't bother to go to the hospital just lay on the bathroom floor in pain until I fell asleep. Maybe that was after the pain stopped, or before. Woke up a couple hours later and felt fine.
Then I outgrew my 40's.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Then i will not have any problems because the tweezers are bigger than my dingus.
--
Tekkie

Mabee he's 5 minutes away but getting some shut-eye and it will take him 25 minutes to get his pants on and a coffee into him.

Pre-book a cab to pick you up at a pre-dertermined time and forget Goober and his Uber
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:16:53 -0500, Clare Snyder

I would do that -- in fact I already said I really dont' like what uber has done to regular cab drivers -- but in the past, especially when it's early morning and I have a deadline, I've not known if the cab is really coming. I've taken very few cabs in my life, but last time to be sure I'd make my plane, I called the cab company and of course they said he was on is way. But if he were not on his way and if they didn't even have me on the schedule or they hadn't found someone or the guy they found backed out (sick or whatever), they would still say, "He's on his way." Unless all the drivers quit, they're not going to say, "We're screwed up, make other arrangements. "
Tonight I can see on the smartphone where the car is. I know how long it takes to get here, and if there are no uber cars running in 3 hours, I'll take my car.
I wish they would have Gett in Baltimore, which iiuc are real taxis with real licenseed drivers who just happen to use an app like Uber, even if they were fewer of them and farther away, but afaict Gett in the USA is only in NYC. Gett seems to me to have the advantags of both systems.
BTW, I was a Yellow cab driver in Chicago for about a year. Worked around 4PM to midnight or later, really liked it. I got stiffed a couple times and I had to pull away from an intersection while someone reached for the door handle a couple times (when I had my off-duty sign on or I already had a passenger in the car) but no other trouble.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 21 Nov 2018 01:55:43 -0500, micky

Well, I just read that Uber does the same thing. That many of the cars on the map are not actual cars, for fear the potential customer will think, There are no cars nearby so I have to make other plans.
This would explain why there no effort to show which of those cars is the one they have in mind before I confirm.
So I'll have to allow another 10 minutes I think.
Going home I won't be in a hurry. I'll try to hail a real cab and if I can't, I'll use Uber.

Here in the TriCities the taxi companies are using an app that is every bit as good as Uber. It is called Lokal. Pete Neufeld didn't let any moss grow under his wheels when Uber came to town - he decided to fight fire with fire.