Nasty no trespassing signs

After a break-in at a similarly remote property, I wanted to put up a sign that read "Friends and invited guests are welcome. All others are target practice".

Reply to
gwandsh

In Florida, you can shoot someone if you are threatened. Does not have to be on one's own property.

Reply to
norminn

Reply to
Michael B

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

how do you KNOW that a trespasser is a "simple" trespasser? Can you read minds?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You are correct in that the penalty imposed by the state for robbery or burglary does not include the death penalty. However, here we're talking about the prevention or apprehension done by non-governmental citizens.

Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and (3) he reasonably believes that: (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY.

A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and: (1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or (2) the actor reasonably believes that: (A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property; (B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or (C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Remember, this is TEXAS, not some pussy-whipped, left-coast, malfunctioning state.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good question. The question that goes to the police, the prosecutor, and, perhaps ultimately, to the jury is: "Would a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances have concluded the trespasser was a threat?"

If the trespasser is in MY bedroom at 3:00 a.m., wearing a mask and armed with a chainsaw, each of the above evaluators would probably tilt in one direction. If, however, the deceased is a letter-carrier with a signature-required letter in one hand and my door-knocker gripped in the other, the decision might tip in the other way.

On the situations that fall between these two extremes, its probably best to shoot first and tell the cops: "He screamed he was going to kill me!"

Actually, it's probably better to tell the cops nothing. And there's no requirement that you even HAVE to even CALL the cops. Maybe after the ball game...

Reply to
HeyBub

LMAO. No, but I can read body language.

My meter reader hops and skips down the road.

Reply to
Oren

My neighbor has one of these Protected by Smith and Wesson signs:

and said he was getting their alarm services. Maybe all he has is the sign and a S&W,

Reply to
Frank

'Armed Wanna-be Sniper Hiding Quietly in Bushes'
Reply to
aemeijers

They still come out for burglary calls in your town? I'm in a tiny tiny suburb of a small town, and I have trouble even getting them to take a phone report. They don't even pretend to investigate.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sounds like your town needs to hold a vehicle auction, if their fleet has that many spares. In my younger days, I'd have been tempted to get a dozen buddies, and pick it up and turn it around.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Here is a good sign: Please don't feed my pet grisly, trespassers give him diarrhea.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I bought mine at a home improvement expo a few years ago. I have it posted on my patio, but not out front. It's metal, with white background and red lettering. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Even better, you can buy fake corpses over the interweb. Impale it on a pike high up with a sign reading "Former Trespasser".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Google for them... I saw one once that said

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

Looked like a commercially-made sign, not a homemade job. Must be available somewhere....

Reply to
Doug Miller

I like what these guys have come up with.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Check!

Fire now and answer questions later...

Reply to
Oren

No. In other ways.

Reply to
SteveB

I think it is better than just a homemade sign. My security system is so loud it will make you vomit before you find it. Anyone who trips it is going to consider a softer target.

Loud works. But what's loud? We had a bunch of rain in Cen. TX. Wirtz dam makes Lake LBJ, about an hour west of Austin. They opened the flood gates Monday evening. We live about ½-3/4 mile from the dam, no line of sight, property between us is wooded. When the horn warning of the opening of the gates went off, it was disorienting. Wonder how the people felt that have line of sight and ¼ mile distance.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

While you're yelling: "Dance, pilgrim!" ?

Reply to
HeyBub