Nantucket Beadboard

I am adding beadboard as wainscoting to a room and am considering using Nantucket Beadboard, which is MDF. The walls are now skim coated drywall. Their instructions say to use adhesive to attach the board to the wall but I do not want to do that. If, at some point in the future, another remodel is done, I don't want to have to destroy the wall to get it off. I'd prefer, since it is getting painted anyway, to face nail the panel into the studs with finish nails. The walls are pretty flat and plumb so I don't think nailing strips will be necessary. Does nailing and no adhesive sound like it would be ok to do?

Second, is it better to use one thickness of panel over another? They have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". I'm thinking of going with the 1/4" to minimize shrinkage.

Which brings up my last question, what is the best way to handle the face and corner joints to avoid gaps?

Thanks,

George

Reply to
georgepag

George,

I am also looking at this product. Let me know how it works out.

If you have questions, try emailing them. They were slow to reply to my questions but they did reply. Are you using 4'x8' sheets or strips? If panels then nailing to the studs should work.

As for thickness, this depends on the look you want. I suspect (check with manufacturer) that the thicker board will have deeper groves. Are you painting it? If so you might want the deeper groves. Also bear in mind that the 1/2" panels will be heavy.

Reply to
noname87

If you're installing a base board and chair rail trim, they will overlap and help hold the board to the wall.

If you're painting it, fill gaps and seams with a high quality paintable expandable caulk.

Reply to
Michael Keefe