Mystery ceiling leak in Kitchen/ LR

A few weeks ago my son called me at work. " Pop,there's water coming thru the kitchen ceiling." By the time I got home the drywall of the ceiling had started to cave in. The plumber said the toilet seal was bad and replaced it. I was skeptical of this since the toilet was fairly new. Anyway the leak stopped completely and we watched it closely for 3 weeks. Finally we decided to go ahead and replace the sheetrock in the ceiling. On the night before the work was to begin a severe thunderstorm came thru with very heavy rains. Not only did the kitchen ceiling begin to leak again but we also had another leak in our adjacent living room ceiling. I called the drywall people and told them to hold off. The fact that my ceiling was leaking again and we had a heavy rain could not be a coincidence. Clear rain water was finding its way into my house. I'm having my gutters cleaned out tomorrow just in case. My gutters are a bit "dirty" but not bad. I have them cleaned thrice a year. What other problems should I look for to determine the cause of water leaks inside my house during a rainstorm? There were no signs of a leak in our attic during this same storm. The leaks appear to be confined to our kitchen and LR in our 2-story home. Many Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Reply to
LRESA500

Check your vent stacks. One is usually close to the toilet and sink running thru the roof. the seals may be bad or flashing is defective.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

Yeah, I'd be looking at the vent stacks too. In my case the idiot roofers forgot to put a flange on one of the stacks and rain would come through.

Reply to
Hopkins

I had a plumber, used at the customer's request, use silicone caulk to hit up a joint in the vent that didn't quite fit well enough for the glue to work (too much of an angle - idiot). I usually go over the subs work with a fine tooth comb because I'm, well, a pain in the ass - didn't pick it up, everything looked right. Ten years later there's a growing discoloration at a ceiling/wall junction right near an AC register and right below a valley cricket. Had to open the wall to discover it wasn't the other suspects, but the vent letting that little bit of rain water drip through.

RicodJour

I don't know how silicone caulk became the answer to so many questions but I really wish it would stop.

Reply to
Hopkins