Mysterious pool problem

This one has me stumped. I have an inground, vinyl liner pool. It has a main drain, 2 skimmers, and 2 returns. The sand filter has a port for skimmer/main drain lines on the suction side.

When I opened the pool, the water level was quite low. Starting up as I normally do (after filling), I have great suction on the skimmers (with full port) and no suction on the main drain (with full port). It also loses about

1/2" water daily. So I assume it is a leak in the main drain. I plug the main drain in the pool, and the leaking stops.

But....with the main drain plugged and the port on full skimmer, I no longer get suction on the skimmers. Nothing. If I unplug the main drain, I immediately get full skimmer suction, good flow, no bubbles, perfect. I now re-plug the drain and within 30 seconds the skimmer suction no longer works, even with the main drain plugged and the port on full skimmer.

What gives? What does the main drain being plugged have to do with the skimmer suction? TIA, Bob

Reply to
Bob O'Connor

What's happening is, the main drain "input" isn't fully closing when you choose skimmers only on the multi-port selector. Since the main drain is plugged, you're eventually sucking air from the main drain line instead of water, which is causing you to slowly lose total suction power.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

This makes sense - would you recommend I simply cut out the multi-port and direct connect to the pump, until I eventually decide to repair/unplug the main drain? I guess that's the only solution if I want to filter my pool..... Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob O'Connor

I would physically remove the main drain input and, if the multi-port allows, screw in a threaded plug.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

That did it, exactly as you said - thanks a big bunch for a quick and right-on diagnosis! Bob

Reply to
Bob O'Connor

You're welcome. Feel free to send a PayPal payment to my e-mail address :-)

All kidding asisd, I wonder why it is so many people have problems with these main drains?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here