MY Town Water supply

Hi,

I was away for a couple of weeks and I decided to let the water run in the bathroom sink a small drop.....in doing tied a white cloth around the sprout of the facet for the water to filter through. When I return the cloth was rusty brown......WOW I said to myself.

Could you tell me what would be the cause of this? As well, should I contact the Town council.

Reply to
Aubrey

Sounds like manganese in the water...not too uncommon from underground water supplies. A water softener would solve this for you. I bought one for my new house from RainSoft for $875 installed. You should be able to find one close to that price from many of the manufacturers......make sure you get at least a 1 year warranty....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Odds are that you have some iron pipe between the city mains and your sink. Unless you are the last customer on the water main, it just isn't the city's problem.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Sure, give them a call, they won't do anything though.

If it was rusty brown, it may be rust. Do you think the water is as perfectly clear as it looks in a single glass? There are all sorts of thing in it in the natural state. I have a whole house filter and change the cartridge about every two to three weeks as it is very brown. Between you and the water department are probably a few miles of very old cast iron pipe.

You may want to have the water tested to see just what you need to correct the problem. If it tastes good and you only see this under these circumstances, you may need to do nothing. If you have any off taste, you'll be amazed at what a charcoal filter for the drinking water will do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski