My all-metal garden hose repair kit broke itself in half

I didn't say that. I said that if you didn't have the receipt but you'd charged it, they woudl replace it. I should have added that afaik you have to show the card you charged it with. They may let you return somethign that doesn't meet these standards if you slip it in with things that do, like things bought within 90 days for which you have the receipt or it was charged.

I certainly didn't say "no questions asked". Indeed they ask for the receipt, or credit card.

Reply to
micky

Everyone is different in how they use a garden hose - and what they require / expect from it. For a farm or commercial operation - they might really need a 3/4 hose - one that can be driven over with the tractor or whatever. - but as an average homeowner - I've never found a need for more than 1/2 inch - that size suits my needs - and is easy to handle ; easy to roll up ; easy to store ; etc .. plus dragging that h e a v y hose around must surely affect the lifespan of the connectors .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

"Can Brass be Nickel Plated?

Unlike chrome plating, which utilizes electricity as a driver, our nickel plating uses a chemical reduction. We submerge the item in an aqueous solution that contains an agent, which reduces the nickel ions and encourages deposition.

Overall, it produces a smoother coat when compared to electroplating. By using this method, we can also easily control the thickness level of the layer that we apply, giving you the exact result you'd prefer.

Benefits of Nickel Plated Brass

If you want superior corrosion resistance, then you need electroless nickel plating on your brass. The process produces a less-porous, all-enveloping barrier, meaning there will be fewer risks for environmental factors to leak in. You'll also receive a low coefficient of friction."

Reply to
Bob F

It all depends on the water pressure and the application. A good hose reel makes large diameter hoses a lot easier to use.

Reply to
Bob F

So what happens when your bank decides you need a new card because you lost it, or got ripped off by someone who got the #, or some store's records got hacked?

Reply to
Bob F

This reminds me of something unrelated, so I'm going to hijack this part of the thread.

I heard on the radio that making a bitcoin takes 4000 gallons of water, and that that requires electricity.

Isn't a bitcoin just an entry in a ledger? Why would it require any water or more than a thousandth of a penny's worth of electricity to create?

micky

Bitcoins are based on never ending high speed calculations, requiring lots of very high speed computers running 24/7, using up huge amounts of power.

Places with cheap power are very popular for these "farms".

Reply to
Bob F

A bitcoin is a measure of work. Work requires energy. It takes a fair amount of electricity to mine a bitcoin. Really, a massive waste of energy (which is a limited resource and the consumption of which always produces waste heat), to be sure.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

What do calculations have to do with wealth? For me, wealth is: I have

100 dollars in the bank and I get paid $400 for a week's work and now I have $500. One calculation, but even it's only to calculate the wealth, not to create it.

How do we know they are really doing any calculations, not just printing out a copy of the same list they used last week?

Aren't the places with cheap power far from the most active and sophisticated police departments? The ones with computer experts?

Reply to
micky

I thought it was a mesure of wealth. A dollar is not a measure of work.

The use of the word "mine" was clever of them. It makes one think about hard work, digging holes in the ground, supporting the ceiling of the holes with large heavy timbers, then digging more to actually remove something of value. None of which happens with bitcoins.

How do we know they are really doing it? Does anyone check their math, not just for a prototype set of calculations but the ones for the bitcoins that are for sale to me? Do they deduct the cost of electricity from their profits, to get taxable income? I would think so but do they show their electric bills to support the claim they are using all this electricity. And maybe the electricity is just used for grow-lights so they can grow pot. Now that really does require a lot of electricity.

And if they are doing calculations. why would a number that was the result of a calculation be worth more than one I come up with now, like

345234. Thats as good a number as any. Why would 1000 calculationns make the result be worth anymmore than one addition? If I add 232323 to 345234, I get a new number but am I any closer to being able to buy a new car?
Reply to
micky

Stores could, and imo they should keep a record of your prior no longer valid cards, for the sake of returns. I keep a list*** of my valid card numbers and when I get a new number, I don't throw away the previous number and indeed, once I found the number, if not essential at least useful to make sense of something.

***The list uses added hyphens and spaces to disguise the numbers as phone numbers. The bank names are not there, just things to remind me. Like Wells Fargo could be listed as cowboy. (even if they had nothing to do with cows, at least it's western.)

But somethign new happened this week. In January I"m goign to Guatemala which has a high crime rate, and it was suggested I bring a dummy wallet with some money and some expired credit cards. I save my old credit cards when the bank sends me a new one and I've always thought they were no good, even if the expiration date on them has not passed. But before labeling them no good, this week I tried them at stores and so far 2 or 3 have worked! I'm glad I didnt' put them in the dummy wallet.

One has all the same numbers as the current card, card number and expiration (not sure about the 3-digit number. I'll check). I think that one is the one I reported the current card as lost (when for the first time in my life I'd put it in the other half of my wallet) and then found it after I got the new card.

I like having two working cards, so if I misplace one but I know it wasnt' stolen, I still have a working card, but I thought they would not do this unless there were two of you listed on the account and you asked for it explicitly.

I did find two that are no good, won't do anything in the machines. I still have one more to test.

(When I do throw a card away, I cut it in to several pieces first.)

Reply to
micky

Sure it is. The amount of work it measures varies with the work being done. Someone making the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour, a dollar measures about 0.14 hours of work.

Why are you asking these questions here? Do a little research on your own time.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Because it's more fun to talk to you guys than it is to read a dry webpage, plus you can answer questions. Webpages don't listen to what I say.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote on Fri, 08 Dec 2023 22:15:07 -0500 :

As I recall, HD swipes your card and then they look for the purchase.

I buy these menders at HD by the handful every year, so I never know which exact hose mender broke at any given time.

As for the "no questions asked", what I meant was the HD personnel don't ask you how you broke it. They don't seem to care how it broke.

I'm sure if you broke it by smashing with a sledge hammer, they'd care. But these break so often they must get dozens a day returned at each store.

I've concluded there's no hose mender found at Home Depot that won't break.

I'm sure they know that but they're banking on most people not returning them even as the Orbit hose menders have a six year warranty period.

Reply to
Andrew

micky wrote on Fri, 08 Dec 2023 20:58:03 -0500 :

Don't worry. I asked about that. It's free shipping on orders over $35. Unfortunately they charge local sales tax, just like Home Depot does.

Yes. No.

Yes plastic won't corrode. No though, because plastic breaks in half even more than the zinc does.

Worse. Cross threading wreaks havoc on plastic threads.

Well, if you want, I can snap a photo of a dozen hoses sprinkled around my property, and most of them have been repaired at least once over time.

There are so many hoses lying around attached to spigots that it would take me too much effort to go back to each one and shut it off at the home.

The disadvantage of leaving them pressurized all the time is that when the ends blow up, I lose a thousand gallons (or whatever) of well water before I notice the puddles since I can't see from the house all the hoses.

Reply to
Andrew

Bob F wrote on Fri, 8 Dec 2023 20:51:40 -0800 :

I have very few half-inch diameter hoses as most of mine are 5/8ths inch (I think) but I do have a few FAT ones - which must be the 3/4-inch hoses.

Andrew

But can we answer questions correctly?

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I am sure you can find more out there on something they can "the internet".

Reply to
Bob F

Look into the end of the hose. compare that with others and compare to a ruler. the hose itself is often a little larger than the inside of the fitting.

Reply to
Bob F