multimeter

I don`t know if this falls into this newsgroup, anyway here is the problem. My multimeter, a Micronta 22-174b takes 6 AA batteries. Is there some kind of battery pack I could use instead of all those batteries? I don`t use it a lot, so am not sure if the batteries are always fresh. Thanks. Patt.

Reply to
Patt

sounds like its a radio shack meter, they would be the best source for an answer to that question..... or buy a better meter??? i got an old radio shack one for the last 15 yrs. and it takes one 9 volt batter and one AA battery.....

Reply to
jim

"Patt" wrote in news:Y_KEb.759447$9l5.268895@pd7tw2no:

Buy alkaline batteries,they have a long shelf life. Yours sounds like an older analog multimeter.The newer digital DMMs use 9V batteries,and they use very little power,even on OHMS. Harbor Freight has DMMs on sale every so often for $5.00 US.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Why bother? The batteries are used so little they will last a long long time. Also AA batteries are not THAT expensive anyway. What we do is to put each multimeter in some kind of case, along with it's leads and a spare set of batteries. Old shaver cases and/or padded school lunch containers are suitable and often cheaply available. You can use rechargeable if you want to but again the drain is usually only for afew minutes at a time it hardly seems worthwhile? Terry.

Reply to
Terry

I'd put alkalines in it, and then not give it another thought.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

I just checked my old Micronta which is a 22-204. It has aa batteries and a 9v battery (it's so old they called them penlight batteries). Like someone else suggest get the

30756 from Harbor Freight on sale now for $4 which uses one 9V battery >
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Patt,

6 AA batteries produce the same voltage as a 9 volt battery. If a 9 volt will fit inside the case just wire in the correct plug for a 9 v battery. Or put the 9 v connector outside the case and attach a battery when you need to use the meter. You can get the connector and a battery holder at Radio Shack.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Yep, and 80 AA batteries in series can produce 120 volts, so you can power your whole house off of them, unless you need 220, then you need

160 AA batteries.

So, if your power goes out and you are in the middle of cooking dinner on the electric range, just hook 160 batteries in series, to your electric range and continue cooking.

You can easily center tap a wire at the 80th battery and get both 120 and 240 off the same batteries, so you can run your electric range and turn on the kitchen lights at the same time.

Of course, 10 12 volt car batteries in series (or 20 of them for 220) does the same thing.

Reply to
me

Hi Patt!

P > I don`t know if this falls into this newsgroup, anyway here is the problem. P > My multimeter, a Micronta 22-174b takes 6 AA batteries. Is there some kind P > of battery pack I could use instead of all those batteries? I don`t use it P > a lot, so am not sure if the batteries are always fresh. Thanks.

As the other response suggested, check with Radio Shack. I would also add check with Batteries Plus.

OTOH, why? The battery pack isn't going to be any "fresher" than the half-dozen AA batteries and probably be a lot more expensive. I've had analog and digital VOMs for years (I've been playing with electronics since the 60's) and the battery life inside the meter is almost as long as the shelf life - just be sure to shut the meter off when not in use (though having the meter on for several days doesn't seem to hurt it).

  • Norwegian CPU Lingo - Monitor: keep an eye on da vood stove
Reply to
barry martin

Batteries provide DC. House power is AC. Whole different ballgame.

And we won't even get started on amperage draw......

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn