Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Multi-Purpose Cleaning Pad

I haven't driven my old car much for 9 months and not at all for 6 months, and the rear window was missing, so it's not surprising that the dash and the vinyl parts of the doors were covered with mold.

Tried some orange cleaner, barely did anything.

Tried Mr. Clean Eraser, original forumla, worked great. "Magic Eraser Multi-Purpose Cleaning Pad "

Not perfect and some parts need a 2nd or 3rd going over, but very easy to use. Even the cracks** that are part of the pattern in the some parts of the vinyl get clean.

The leather steering wheel didn't do so well but even when everything was clean that was a problem. It seemed like the leather was gone in parts and I don't know what was underneath it.

**What's interesting is that on the Home Depot page, it says that the original formula is good for cracks, "Water-activated micro-scrubbers reach into the surface grooves", but for Extra Power Magic Erasers (pack of 8 instead of 4) it says on their webpage "It is non-abrasive. " It says it 3 TIMES. So I wondered if it would do cracks as well, but otoh, I thought it wouldn't scratch up the vinyl. Which one to buy?

But when I got to the store, it didnt' say non-abrasive on the box even once.

So I bought the first one to see if it worked and it worked great. Probably going to need 4 pads total to do the moldy parts of the dash and one door, but I bought 8 more pads. I'll give the extras to the new buyer.

Reply to
micky

Will you also give the new buyer a heads up that they are buying a biology lab experiment?

Reply to
rbowman

I'm left assuming this car was outside with no rear window?

Reply to
trader_4

? Never buy a used car from a democrat.

Reply to
♀

No reason to think this actually kills the mold that's left or makes the cleaned spots inhospitable to more mold. I got some separate mold killer that I'll spray on after the area is clean. Or I'll give the stuff to the new owner.

Yes. Bad design on early Solara rear window, too big for the space it had. Once the roof strethed or sagged at all, it tended to break when putting the top down. And so it did. Replacement windows are smaller.

I forget what a rear window cost but I needed a top too, and replacing the window only is inefficient. OTOH the top was 1500 dollars, so I decided to get a new car. I didnt' expect this stage to drag on so long, but after 6 months, the car starts and runs great, smooth, powerful, great acceleration, can go over speed bumps at 30 or 40, very quiet.

Everything works but the CD changer/player (Is there a changer that doesn't start to jamb with age?), turn signal (bought the flasher, found where it goes, can't manage to pull the old one out), fob, and front-to-back part of power seat (I think something got jambed in there. Just unbolt the seat and take it out.)

I thought the trunk would rust out but I tapped around yesterday and everyplace I tapped was good. Maybe some places I didnt' tap have rot, but I'll tell the buyer. It's only going to be 1000 dollars. 93,000 miles.

Reply to
micky