move thermostat

Hi all,

I tried moving a thermostat last night and didnt work to well. Here is my original setup:

I have 3 wires: 1 comes from the braker panel, 1 from the baseboard heater and one from the bathroom thermostat.

What I was told was to connect all the red wires together and the black wires together and then run a cable from these wires to the new thermostat location.

I did all of this but once I attached my thermostat, put the braker back to on and picked up the thermostat temp, it popped and the breaker turned off. What I find weird in this is that with the braker on, the heater in the bathroom works great. I connected the wires correctly on the thermostat, like red on red and black on black.

What am I doing wrong?

Let me know,

Michael

Reply to
mike

You were told wrong.

You need to run TWO new cables from the old location to the new location. Connect one to the side that comes from the breaker panel, and connect that to the LINE side of the T-stat on the other end. Connect the other to the wire feeding the heater on the old end, and to the LOAD side of the T-stat on the other end.

What you've essentially done is permananatly wire the heater on (like you've noticed), then set it to short-circuit when the T-stat calls for heat.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Thank you very much. This worked great and now I have HEAT!!! WOOHOO!!

Tim Fischer wrote:

Reply to
mike