Missing Charging Adapter

After looking For A Long Time, I have concluded that the AC/DC charger, for my portable drill, is lost. Replacements, from the manufacturer, cost nearly what I paid for the complete drill set

Is there an option to buy a Generic charger?? I know that battery powered devices have many different sized "charger mating recepticles". Is there an a Standard that I could locate for my specific size, to allow me to order that generic?

Reply to
Dave C

Did you look on Ebay? May be a used one there or a low cost new one that is listed for your drill.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks for the QUICK reply !! Sure appreciate that response

I certainly agree, with your Ebay suggestion. Alas I do not know what to ask for, in a replacement charger. By that I mean I do not know how to specify what my drill has for its charging recepticle "size"/ mating connector; maybe charging voltage??

Reply to
Dave C

Just go to Ebay and search for Dewalt SuperPro Drill charger or whatever the drill is called.

Reply to
trader_4

Think of how much more focused advice you'd get if you had mentioned the brand, model, voltage, configuration, etc., of the drill ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

+1

Reminds me of the fellow trying to remove a tranny from his vehicle and asking about how to do it, what kind of threadlocker to use, etc, and not starting out with the make, model, year.

Reply to
trader_4

Exactly. That's how I found a replacement power supply for my router. Even though I had the voltages etc. written on the broken power supply, specifying it this way worked better.

BTW, the second one failed too. During the breaks between factory power supplies and after the second one broke I used something like this:

Most of these things have a way to reverse polarity. I don't see it on this one.

At least on electronics, sometimes the color of the plastic ring will match the plug and jack. I doubt if that's true with an electric drill.

And if that is not enouogh or the voltage on it does not go high enough:

or

And if none of this is right, some sort of universal charger.

Drill voltage is based on how many cells it has. But better than that, you can google the drill and find out its voltage. the charging voltage should be just higher than that, or one notch higher yet. And if that doesn't charge it, one notch higher. (Isn't each cell 1.3 volts so if there are 6 cells it's 7.8 volts. Or some numbers that you multiply, but best to googlee the drill model)

In a situation where you don't know what the voltage should be, start with a low voltage and turn it up until the device works, Can probably go one notch higher than that too.

Reply to
micky

If you have been "looking For A Long Time" the batteries may be dead or near the end of their life.

Since you don't appear to use your drill that often just buy a cheap replacement drill from Harbor Freight.

Reply to
catalpa

When your drill finally does play out, you'll have a universal charger you can use universally.

Reply to
micky

You've been given some great advice here and let me add my advice whether it's considered great or not. So many things now have chargers that I was having trouble distinguishing what went with what tool/gadget. I bought a Sharpie silver ink pen and wrote on each charger what it went with. 'B&D Drill' or 'Cell Phone' or whatever. Has saved a lot of aggravation and testing to see what plugs into what.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I just searched for replacement for old Milwaukee figuring there would be scads of them for older tool design -- nary a one and what were listed were far from cheap so while eBay is often great, not necessarily always.

Of course, a search for B&D or another brand might just uncover exactly what OP's looking for -- or a new search tomorrow _might_ just find the one I was/am looking for, too. "Ya just never know..."

Reply to
dpb

ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

Ditto on that. I also use the gold colored ones to mark the bottoms that may be silver... It has also saved a lot of time. I mark the wall wart and charger if they have a connecting plug...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Yep, those Sharpie pens can save the day. The black ones work great on red or green chargers, heck about any color would work on non-black charger s.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Ace Hardware, for example, has paint pens. I've been marking the tops of the plugs for the stuff top/bottom matters.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman