Minwax "Polyshades" -- why not for floors?

He just hadn't weighed in yet. He'll be there sooner or later (unless just to prove me wrong, once again!!!

Reply to
clare

| Manyana and Stormy need to give this topic not only a rest but "the | deep sleep" | | The important thing is people are getting the information they need.

If they learn how it works then we all benefit. Wouldn't you want to learn if you didn't know? And wouldn't you prefer not to have the noise of gmailers talking to ghosts?

With the gradual fading of Usenet and the moves by Google, a lot of people simply don't get how it all works. I find that with my own friends and family. They understand that they can find discussions online, but they don't understand where those discussions come from.

Reply to
Mayayana

you have a winner.

when a visitor with wet feet fall, and with the coloring in the topcoat.

colors will likely fade and you get to start all over.....

sunny areas will likely fade faster.

Reply to
bob haller

I used the minmax polyshades to worn out hardwood floors 2 years ago! It s till looks amazing. I only put on one coat and still not see any wear in h igh traffic areas. I'm not an expert, but most of it was common sense. It was in my kitchen, so I couldn't do the entire floor at one time. I stained a 8x6 feet area at a time. Put fans on it for 3 days and LET IT DRY completely. My hardwood floors have been rejuvenated for about $35.

I hope this helps others.

Reply to
atscarla

Thanks, I'll try and remember that. Might be totally useful some time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just used this product on my floor. A little tough to apply but end result is great, I used it in a bedroom not sure if it would hold up in a high traffic area.

Reply to
jkessler0233

Maybe it won't even hold up in your area. How would you know if you just applied it? Why the need to use a product where it says it not intended to be used, when there are plenty of products for floors available?

Reply to
trader_4

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Like the George Washington bridge NY/NJ

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ahhh shaddup! He is a snarker!

Reply to
abxchange

Ignoring the jerk responses here's the fact. Polyshades doesn't stain the wood it topically colors it such that any scratch (which is much more likely if you use it on a floor) will result show the original Wood's color. If you're slow and careful with your application it can look quite nice. But you really need to apply MULTIPLE VERY THIN COATS otherwise you'll get the results the trolls mention (streaks and splotches). All this being said, I'd water you could pull off a floor use of you for it with multiple layers of proper poly. But they defeats the whole idea of this being a quick finish and you'd be much better if staining and then finishing.

Reply to
neveraging

But polyshades whole idea results a quick water multiple finishing stain is better not scratch?

Reply to
Uncle Fester

replying to JayB, Melissa Currence wrote: I think it has to do with the one step process dynamic. It would be necessary (I believe) to apply additional coats of urethane to the floor over a period of a few days to make the finish durable enough for floors.

Reply to
Melissa Currence

replying to Mayayana, julie wrote: yes, i am just now looking this up. thanks everyone

Reply to
julie

The reason this is not rated for floors is that it will not hold up to stan ding water. Floor coatings have an something added to ensure that if the fl oor is subjected to a leaking pipe, for instance, the standing water on the floor would lift the coating. There are plenty of other options to tint a wood floor without stripping it, the easiest being to make your own "polysh ades" type coating by adding a compatible stain to a durable polyurethane t hat's designed for floors.

Reply to
plzappala

replying to juliatn, Katie wrote: You are obviously correct haha, this is definitely a searchable thread because here I am in 2018. Thank you!

Reply to
Katie

replying to Mayayana, Katie wrote: Uhm honey, it made sense to me..3 years later...LOL

Reply to
Katie

replying to clare, Katie wrote: Agreed! 3 years later so everyone else but them we're awesome! Haha

Reply to
Katie

LoL this thread is hilarious. I'm finding it 5 years after the original date of post.... I'm actually doing my bedroom floor in polyshades . .it has been sanded and cleaned, and it is not a high traffic area, so I'm sure it will be fine....it's almost done . I don't know why people get so bent out of shape, just give your opinion, and let it go.....

Reply to
goodwitchsouth

Wow. Your rough dude!. I did it on my floors and they look amazing.

Reply to
smclayton227