Minimal bathroom...

Hi,

I'm planning to construct a small bathroom (washstand, toilet, and a minmal shower) in a very reduced space. How can I arrange these three pieces to minimize the space occupied by them? Can anybody point me to some drawings?

Thanks in advance Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

Hi,

I'm planning to construct a small bathroom (washstand, toilet, and a minmal shower) in a very reduced space. How can I arrange these three pieces to minimize the space occupied by them? Can anybody point me to some drawings?

Thanks in advance Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

My suggestion is to combine the washstand with the toilet and shower, as follows. Make a big hole in the floor to be the toilet and, at the same time, to be a drain for water. Urinate and defecate into that hole. Place a shower and a water faucet above that hole. When it is time to wash your hands, simply use the faucet. For showering, simply stand near the hole, being careful not to step into it. If you have extra money, you can place a temporary grate above that hole when showering, to avoid accidentally slipping into the hole. Keep a bucket of water handy to wash down excrement and toilet paper after defecation.

Ignoramus9053

Greetings,

Check out the "Floor Plans" section to look at how people solved a simular space problem.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Use a pocket door and you can sqeeze those three devices into a 4x10 space or smaller if you desire...

Reply to
mesquito_creek

I've seen some small bathrooms. The smallest i think i've seen had the following configuration:

DOOR (open out) Toilet Sink Bathtub

It was a bit claustophobic, but in reality, about the smallest i think you can go without an intergral toilet/sink device. (i remember seeing them a while ago, but can't seem to find one via google. They were for institutional use.) While sitting on the toilet, you could almost operate the sink. There was just enough room to walk between them and stand before steping into the tub.

The room was as wide as a tub is long.... my guess around 2 meters.

This would be completely unfriendly to anyone with a disability, however... and since the current recomendation is to build with the future in mind (when you are old and decrepit) you might not want to go *that* small) ;)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

In addition to the other's advice, learn to use a search engine. I found this

with thousands of others in 0.27 seconds here:

G Henslee

you will need min 15" clearance to each sideof the toilet and 24" in front. A 30" circle clearance for the shower is generally required. Beyond that pedistal sinks take less space than vanity sinks

Usually the shower goes at the far end of the room as three sides are closed and the sink and toilet go wherever they fit to allow the door to operate and satisfy code clearances.

Reply to
PipeDown

A little more information about the space you have would help us help you better. There are many ways this can be arranged.

Reply to
tom.jenkins

We live with toilet, sink, & shower in 48 by 99 inches. Toilet tank slips under corian counter with integral sink. Extended toilet bowl projects about 20 inches.

24 inches clear to 32 inch deep shower. TB
Reply to
tbasc

I've seen postage stamps bigger'n that...

Reply to
G Henslee

I have one about the same size with a short tub/shower, small sink and toilet. It is cozy and definitely a one person bathroom.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This is the question. We have a small sleep room about 10 x 13''. We want to extend it by additional 3-4'' on one wall. I'd like to add a small bathroom to the room without sacrificing the room space. So the question is how small can a bathroom and still remain comfortable. I remember in japanese hotels I wondered how small the bathroom were, and even they had a bathtub. So the size of the projected bathroom can be increased at expense of the sleep room but I think it is better to have a bigger room...

Thanks for the answers. I'm still looking for the appropriate size... Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

Truly minimal bathroom however I think the original post only referred to a minimal shower.

Reply to
Pat

How about a corner shower, small pedestal sink and toilet?

Reply to
Dee

Which wall?

See, more info changes the approach some.

Knowing that it is a "subroom" and that you want to keep as much bedroom space as possible means new possibilities are possible.

The shower can be in the corner of the room with the "step out of the shower" space into the main bedroom itself. This is space that doesn't have to be taken from the bedroom.

The sink can be in the bedroom itself. I've seen many vanities in master bedrooms. This makes the sink area part of the bedroom space, which means the bedroom space seems larger.

That leaves the toilet.

It all depends on what level of privacy/ventilation you require. You might be able to get away with tucking it behind a half wall. Certainly making the room appear larger.

Depending on code, you might have to classify the whole room as a bathroom.... bathroom that you just happen to be able to sleep in. (Heck, this might even lower your taxes, depending on how they calculate it) This means all outlets will have to be GFCI protected. (not too bad if you have 1 gfci and feed the rest from it)

Talk to your local building inspector to see if their are requirements which would prevent you from doing this of course... S/he will have knowledge of any problems with the plan.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Really I don't like the idea of "mixing" the bathroom and the bedroom. Id' like them totally separated. Anyway thanks for your comments. I appreciate it.

I wonder how much in the US you are worried about construction codes. In my country (Mexico) nobody cares about them. I suppouse they should exists but I never heard nobody mentioning them.

Reply to
SammyBar

Well then maybe Ignoramus was onto something afterall...

Reply to
G Henslee

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1120224937.874225.303930 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

The smallest bathroom I have ever seen was on the ship I sailed on durring my honeymoon. It was about three feet wide and four feet long. A toilet was on one end, and a pedistal sink on the other. As for the shower. There was a drain in the floor and the room was completely tiled. A hand held shower was hung on the wall between the toilet and sink. Basikly the bathroom was the shower stall. Note, to keep the toilet paper from being ruined when you shower you will need to mount the holder up higher than usual. Not so high that you can't reach it while sitting, but nearly so.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

That saves some room - not sure how a plumbing inspector would feel about it. It also saves water - you use it twice.

In some European countries they build wet bathrooms. There is no separation/curb at the shower - just a shower curtain. Of course there's a drain in the slightly sloped floor and the floor has to be waterproofed. That allows you to push the curtain out of the way when you're not showering and t opens up the space. Similar to how they do it in smaller sailboats and RVs. If you want to go small that's the way to do it.

All of this depends on whether you need a permit and plumbing inspection and how the inspector will feel about all of this.

RicodJour