Millennials don't have any idea on how to repair homes because

... they have NO real life coping skills!!

Tests canceled, pizza ordered. Sad kids at college campuses being consoled after election? They're also giving them crayons and play-doe

Good grief.

or

Muggles

lection.html

Stereotype much?

I have 4 millennials - 2 male, 2 female. They all have tools, they all fix things, they all live on their own, they all have jobs - and did even while getting their degrees. They vote their conscience and they deal with the results of their choices.

They hang out with other millennials that have tools, fix things, live on their own, have jobs, vote their conscience and deal with the results of their choices.

If they had pizza (or play-doe (sic)) this week, it was because they wanted it and paid for it.

It's interesting that that group of millennials never gets any coverage.

I wonder if the same thing happens to other groups of people besides millennials. I wonder if there are other people that suffer from being stereotyped just because they are a member of a certain "group". Nah, that doesn't happen. Not at all.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think this applies to the whinny entitled millennial, obviously.

I have 3 millennial adult children, myself, who also aren't out there whining and in need of play dough, counseling, or a day off just because their candidate didn't win.

It's sad that there are actually enough of the whiny millennials that they are beginning to give an entire generation a black eye.

Reply to
Muggles

r-election.html

You *think* it does? You said it. Don't you know who you were talking about ?

Yet you lumped your own kids in with your comments.

...and guess who just did the punching.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some things I didn't think I had to come straight out and say because they were obvious.

Reply to
Muggles

ter-election.html

That's what everyone who stereotypes an entire group always uses as an excuse.

"Well, I didn't mean *them*. They're OK, it's the *rest* of them that I was talking about. You knew what I meant."

No, I only know what you *said*.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They were shocked, shocked to find out that sometimes your side loses. Apparently it's no longer enough to get a trophy just for participating.

Reply to
Neill Massello

The press always goes for the new, the abnormal, and the entertaining -- the proverbial man bites dog stories. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind of journalism congeals into history. Most young people in the 60s were not hippies or anti-war protesters, but wasn't as interesting as the stereotypes.

Reply to
Neill Massello

It's not just the press. It's anyone that stereotypes, as shown in the OP.

Her own kids are in the group that she is disparaging, but we're supposed to know that they are not the same as the rest of "them".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't have issues with stereotyping groups of people because I know that any stereotype has exceptions. It's a given... as in, my grown adult children are millennials, BUT they don't fit the stereotype represented in the video. I don't see that as a problem, but you obviously took offense to it.

That's how many people communicate. I just accept it.

You could have just asked if I meant to include everyone. I really don't think it's necessary to explain the obvious, but I will. I'm sorry what I said offended you. It wasn't meant to do so.

Reply to
Muggles

yeah ... no trophy this time!

Reply to
Muggles

I'm not all that sensitive that I can't realize that even the best of stereotyping has it's exceptions. I don't see what the big deal is.

Reply to
Muggles

Gosh, don't take it so personal. It does apply to a large percentage but like all generalizations there are exceptions. Be proud of your kids but look around and you will see a lot of spoiled brats.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They're all waitng for a smartphone app to do their home repairs for them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 11:12:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wr ote:

All?

You apparently have the same problem as the OP.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There was nothing "personal" about my response. I merely used my kids as an example to show that she was stereotyping. I also mentioned their friends

- who I have no real personal connection to - and she used her own kids to disprove her own comments.

Had she she said "Blacks are welfare thieves, Muslims are terrorists or Jews are cheap, I would have responded with (basically) the same comments and they wouldn't have been personal either.

When those generalizations result in stereotyping an entire group of people, they shouldn't be used.

...which does not justify stereotyping.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"even the best of stereotyping" - What the heck does that mean?

Show your post to your own millennials and ask them if they think it's a big deal. If they don't, have them look up the definition of stereotyping.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have three of 6 grandkids in that age group. Of the 3, the definition fits one of them. Am I insulted about the stereotyping? Hell no, I'm smart enough to know there are always exception.

I was a teenager in the 60's. To many, it was an era of free love and flower children using drugs. None of that fit me, While some of my classmates smoked weed, I bought a house and married at 20.

Every generation has its title and stereotyping but to be offended, IMO, is being overly sensitive. Living in New England a lot of people think I must be a Patriots fan. In 35 years here, I've never watched a Pats game. From watching TV I can name two players though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why do you continue to use words like personal, insulted and offended?

She stereotyped a specific group and I pointed it out. What makes you think I feel insulted or offended? I can assure you that I do not feel any of those.

It doesn't sound like you are insulted/offended if someone thinks you are a Pats fan, it sounds like you simply say they are wrong. In this case, it's the same for me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A LARGE part of the reason MANY millemials have no idea how to repair homes is they HAVE NEVER BEEN TAUGHT. Technical and vocational training has virtually dissappeared from the public education system in North America.. The educational systewm has been stronly slanted towaers "sliding them in" to college programs to learn either the "liberal arts" or "digital world" subjects that just MIGHT give them a leg up in the "service sector" jobs that have all but replaced the manufacturing anf manual technology jobs of the past.

Add top that the FACT that much of the educational system in the USA is well beyond being "broken" and the average attention span has been reduced to somewhere just barely north of 3 minutes - (again - mabee over-generalizing - but I WAS one of those technical training instructors(in one of the better "school districts" or "boards" in Ontario - which was a sort of "beacon" in the tech education system in North America) WAY back before these millenials were the proverbial "spark in their daddies' eyes" - and the trend was already starting - with de-streaming, the "new math" curriculum, and the "no kid left behind" mentality just poking it's way into the secondary school sytem.

By the time I returned to Canada afterr teaching 2 years abroad, I had no interest in returning to the classroom under the new direction.

Add to that the FACT that the parents of many of these millenials are those who were "not allowed to fail" in the eighties and nineties, and therefore do not have the skills to pass on th their (millenial) offspring, and you have most of "the rest of the story"

The educational system in North America - and certain parts of the USA in particular, has TOTALLY let down the young folks of America.

To Mr Trump - I say GOOD LUCK "Making America Great Again".

Even IF he succeeds in forcing manufacturing jobs back to America, it will take another TWO GENERATIONS to get the workforce back to the level of manufacturing competence that existed 30 years ago.

The number of bodies (hopefully with brains attached) required to run a manufacturing enterprise today is down from 30 - 60% from 35 years ago due in no small part to automation..Assembly quality is up by roughly the same percentage.

Manufacturing will have to be restored to the responsibility of engineers instead of accountants and stock traders if actual product quality is going to approach the levels of the past - and workers are going to need to settle for lower wage expectations. Meanwhile Americans (and Canadians, and everybody else) are going to have to be willing to "pony up" and pay the price.

I's going to take more than a week's payuchecque to buy a new TV, and a years wages to buy a new car.

Also, To have a viable "localized" manufacturing culture, you are going to have LESS CHOICE, and You will need to choose between quality goods that last a long time at high prices due to limitted production (dictated by low demand) or a lot of cheap crap that needs to be replaced often to keep the volume of manufacturing high enough to keep the workers busy,

CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Reply to
clare