any idea on how to get rid of skunks?

Shove an ammonia soaked rag under the shed? I prefer to nail it to a 2X4. otherrwise they push it out. Once out, nail up entrance if possible. Eliminate food sources. kill the grubs in your lawn.

Reply to
Jmagerl

of

out in

there are

don't

ideas

but

They don't like mothballs.

Reply to
Kathy

we just moved into a home that's been unoccupied for almost a year. it appears we have a family of at least 4 skunks living in or behind the shed out in the yard. i'd prefer not to kill them, plus there are cats loose in the neighborhood, so i definitely don't want to leave out poison. just looking for some ideas on how to make these guys go away. we leave the sliding glass doors open (with the screen closed) so our indoor only cats can enjoy the fresh air, but the steps leading to the deck with the doors is just a mere 10' away from the skunk shed. that could get ugly :). any ideas? thanks!

Reply to
RobR

Steve

They like their den dark & quiet. Try a radio & light source.

Reply to
3rd eye

So THATS why RAP music was invented !

Reply to
Rudy

Fortunately, I've not had the problem near enough to the house and being on the farm don't have to worry about what the neighbors are doing so I can track them 'til they're far enough from the house to simply shoot them.

W/ the broken arm, it's been impossible to handle the shotgun and there's been one digging in the yard every evening...got lucky and some kind soul flattened him in the road a couple of weeks ago. So far, no sign of mate or kits and the cast is now off... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The books claim skunks are a prime target for horned owls -- but either we have the wrong skunk or the owls have too refined a palate or too much other tastier stuff to chose from...the skunk wandered around the yard all evening into the night whilst the owls continue to watch and prepare for the evening hunt--neither paid a whit of attention to the other. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

:)

Actually, to me that is a plus...I like having them around a bunch...unfortunately, we lost one of the pair of horned owls to some unknown cause last spring -- so far, the other is still hanging around. I'm hoping since they managed to raise at least two young each of the last three years there's still a young one going to come fill in when it gets to be that time this winter--they don't actually interact much except for that relatively short period in late winter/early spring.

The barn owls, otoh, are more plentiful but much more reclusive...last time I climbed to their hangout in the top of the elevator there were five plus an indeterminate number of young...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, if I got some owls and put them in the shed, what gets rid of owls so I don't have to listen to the WHOOOOO WHOOOOO? :).

Reply to
RobR

I keep posting this info here for newcomers, so those of you who have heard this before, DO NOT read any further.

For the people who are trying to get rid of skunks, there is a product called Fi-shock. It is a small electrical device that you hook up to a wire, and it shocks the invading animal when it comes in contact with the wire.

It works good for raccoons, dogs, deer, cats, kids, whoever the unwanted intruder is.

Use according to directions, be safe, and don't pee on it.

All it takes is one time, and the animal will not return. I believe I paid about $25 for mine from someone I found in Google.

If'n you want, you can buy all the wiring, insulators, and poles they have in the kits, but you can make the same out of baling wire, pvc stubs and common items and save a bundle.

Got a dog peeing on your nice wheels? Wanna make him stop?

Fi-Shock.

Funny as hell when you get to see it work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'd rather have to deal with it once rather than all year long.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Fer Chrissake! I made a suggestion. Do or not do. No need for argument or pissing contest.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That's known as a "fence charger"... ....

Probably not so much fun when the skunk then sprays your house, shrubs, etc., ...

Not at all sure I'd recommend this as an alternative w/ a skunk near an occupied area.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That experience or wishing? :)

I'd far rather find an alternative method near a dwelling as the "once" will might well end up being a goodly portion of year. Unless they're disturbed, in general they're of minimal problem other than just the general nuisance factor.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Some time when they are not there, go back there and pee. That is how animals traditionally mark their territory. I actually know someone who got rid of skunks under their porch that way. Hey, it's cheap and easy, give it a try. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Whoa! Wasn't trying...thought the smiley would indicate that...was simply tossing back and forth of "pro/con" I thought/intended...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth