MICROWAVE OVEN

It's ten years old, but still working.

I am thinking a new model would be superior with features and improvements.

I have 1500 watts now.

Any suggestions? This is an appliance that I really use a lot.

Reply to
7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES O

"7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES OF DISPENSATION" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...

Why replace it? New features (such as temperature probes) are often gimmicks. The latest software routines are mostly gimmicks.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I am thinking I have lost some power.

Is there a tube to replace to kick it back up to the BIG POWER?

Reply to
7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES O

"7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES OF DISPENSATION" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com...

The tube is the magnetron.

Charles Schuler

I agree. My 1971 Montgomery Ward MW is still doing fine and the mechanicalk timer will never die from a lightning hit. New MWs are like new TVs they are always on and most fail because the clock gets blown up.

Reply to
gfretwell

"7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES OF DISPENSATION" wrote in message

The Magnetron. Probably can be replaced for about twice the cost of a new unit. Even the $79 ones are loaded with good features.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have you actually compared with the abilities of the new units? Sure, you can re-heat a cup of coffee, but for more serious cooking, you may be very surprised at the differences and advancements.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Who would try "serious cooking" in a microwave? Certainly not a serious chef. They are just for heating things. I had a microwave, given to me as a gift, that had all the bells and whistles on it in my condo. I never used any of them. After a big thunderstorm is was solid waste. The magnetron was fine, the clock wouldn't light up so it was useless. We ended up putting a springwound timer in a hole drilled through the keypad and usiing it in my office.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are superior.

I always take your advice.

I am taking it this time, too.

Thanks, Ed.

Reply to
7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES O

Sure you did.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Maybe a microchef would.

They don't make waste as solid as they used to.

That's great.

Reply to
mm

Met a guy recently who told me he was in "solid waste disposal." He amplified: "I'm a Houston Police Officer."

Several Houston PD officers got in trouble a number of years ago when they threw a handcuffed Latino in Buffalo Bayou. He drowned.

This cowardly act gave rise to the annual celebration "Sinko de Bayou."

I guess the point is: you don't jack around with a Houston policeman. I understand they've been having a ball for the past year what with all the Katrina evacuees...

Reply to
HeyBub

It is true. This was a big Amana and the clock was toast. A Grainge/intermatic spst timer replaced that whole clock board with 2 wires. All the interlocks remained untouched. For all I know they still have it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, I bought my new microwave oven. It's totally cool with sensor cooking. I bought it factory reconditioned for half price and full warranty.

This was way better advice than putzing around with an outdated piece of equipment.

Reply to
7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES O

If 10% of the people who bought a "sensor" oven even know where the sensor is, I would be shocked. This is a way to heat things up that were already cooked. You don't cook with it.

Reply to
gfretwell

You push one button. It keeps from overheating and creating moisture.

For us DIYrs, we all know that water is nothing but trouble.