method/tools used to trace home wiring (no power)?

I haven't turned the power on at my new home yet. I'd like to make sure all of the electrical circuits are completely safe before I have the electrical company turn on the power. Is there any tool or method to check wiring that doesn't have power running to them? I'm tring to find out what wires run from a 100 amp square D pannel, to all of the outlets in the house. Then I'll label the circuit breakers as I trace them, and make sure the circuits are o.k..

Thanks,

Steve

  1. Call a reputable licensed electrician and pay him to check your work for code compliance before you call the power company to connect. Money well spent. He can also answer your question about your ground you raised in another post.

  1. If you insist on doing it yourself , you can check your wiring while it is DISCONNECTED from the inlet power by using a battery source. Get a

6 volt lantern battery. Connect the negative to your panel strip where the white leads are connected. Pull the circuit breaker on circuit #1. Connect the positive side of the drycell to the black lead you have connected to that breaker location. That should put 6 volts on that circuit and no other. Check each outlet with a voltage meter. You should see power between the hot side and the neutral and between the hot side and the ground wire at each test location.. You should of course read zero between the neutral and ground. You can map your entire house by doing this a circuit at a time. Include your overhead fixtures. Include your furnace, dishwasher, garbage disposal and any other dedicated circuit. Check that all switches work as expected while the 6 volts are connected.

S> I haven't turned the power on at my new home yet. I'd like to make

Reply to
Stoney

If the circuits are not labeled already, the installing electrician should not be in your house. I cannot imagine a good, professional, tradesman not marking the breakers. Don't pay him until the job is completed. Not every receptical will be marked but it should at least narrow down to "living room front" "kitchen" "laundry" etc.

He should also have some instruments to trace the circuits.

-- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Has the building inspector been there yet? He should sign off before the power is turned on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yea..its called a final inspection, normally done when a competent, licenced electrician does the work.

Reply to
CBHvac