1989 Lennox Central Air Water Condensation and Shutdown?

I have a Lennox Central Air Unit from 1989 that began to give me problems last week.

First last week the copper line on the furnace/central air unit stated to freeze. The unit subsequently shut down. When I tried to re-start the Central Air at the thermostat the blower fan would not turn on. After a period of time (a few hours) I was able to turn the AC back on. I don't know why the Central Air unit wouldn't turn back on? Possible Freeze Stat?

I suspected the refrigerant charge was low and had a tech install 5lbs of R-22 and check for leaks. No leaks were found.

Now I have the opposite problem. I no longer have a freezing problem now the copper line, furnace and basement ducting is dripping from condensation. Last night the Central Air Unit began to make a loud grinding noise. I couldn't tell if the blower fan was making the noise. Like before the unit would not come back on until a few hours later. Flood-back?

The condensate pump is coming on but I suspect come kind of flow problem from the drain pipe? Maybe the unit was overcharged?

Any suggestions?

Joe E.

Reply to
Joe Esposito

/snip/

Um, did you tell the tech to just put in more refrigerant, or did he determine that this was the problem?

Assuming it was the latter, I'd call the tech back and have them fix it the way they should have the first time.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Jeez guys thanks for the 5th degree!

For the record I did have a local HVAC company check and service the AC last friday. I took them a day to get someone out so I look over the unit to get an idea what is wrong. During the day I am an engineer for an industrial refrigeration company. Quite a bit different with 500 HP Screw Compressors, NH3, and multiple condenser units. No I am not certified to test/install refrigerant so I don't mess with it. I don't post here and pretend to know what I am doing either!

Tomorrow morning they will send another Tech out so we will see what they think the problem is now. I won't let them tell me that the condensation is due to the recent high humidity. Sure I questioned how a closed system can somehow lose refrigerant. Friday they Tech did tell me no leaks were present and the only thing missing was a

1/4" access cap.

While the company I had service my AC is reputable I am beginning to think otherwise.

Just trying to get some feedback for everyone here because I question the work that was done last week.

Joe E.

Reply to
Joe Esposito

I'm curious what all else techie number one checked before hooking up the bottle of juice?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just stopped over my lunch break to ask him a few questions for maybe 15 minutes out of the 2.5 hours that I was billed.

Didn't want my wife to say "OK" to anything.

We will see what "Tech #2" from the same company says tomorrow.

Regardless, I probably will be looking for a new HVAC contractor....

Thanks,

Joe E.

Reply to
Joe Esposito

Hey Joe, please keep us posted. I'm kinda curious. I've got a few ideas, but I'm not there to check it all out, so it's guessing at the moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You shouldn't comment on anything. You're 'guessing' at everything. You will only make things worse. You're a clueless newbie installer. Your advice is bunk, like your religion.

Reply to
News Hound

Jeez, you've really got a problem. What's the matter--did a Mormon knock on your door and scare you when you were young?

;-)

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

MYOFB

-- jehovah's witnesses exposed.

News Hound

Calling people names isn't a good way to establish yourself as a man of wisdom and strength. Actually, quite the oposite, name calling is, in many circles, a sign of weakness.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ooh, struck a nerve I see!

Was it only a fright, or was it worse?

By the way, in case you didn't know, USENET is public. Your post is not only YFB. It's EVERYONE'S FB. If you want privacy, take it to email.

Toto

Reply to
Royal Flush

don't think too highly of yourself. all I said was MYOFB. big deal. kinda like saying, stick yourusenet faq's up your ass sideways toto. big deal eh toto.. now quit trying to hump my leg toto..

Reply to
News Hound

And dear sir, poor abused one...

Giving wrong advice out and calling yourself a pro is a sure way to be called stupid.

Reply to
CBHvac

It just depends on how much money you have and how stupid you are or are not as to whether you replace the "who darn" unit. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sorry for the grammatical error "Bubba".

Joe E.

Reply to
Joe Esposito

Dear Joe, Well, a lot of that answer depends on money. A 30 year old unit is likely running a LOT less efficient than anything good made today. If you can afford a new furnace, the energy savings will help pay for the unit. If things are really tough now, a new blower will get you by until something else breaks. I'd suggest replace, if you possibly can make it happen some how.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wheel puller, heat, or penetrating oil. But not all at the same time!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon