Metal roof over shingles

I have 2 roof on my house now & am thinking about putting a metal roof on without tearing the old roof off. Would this be dangerous. The roof is pretty steep, cant walk it.

Reply to
JT

On Tue 04 Apr 2017 05:14:01a, JT told us...

IF you can't walk it, how to you propose to put a metal roof on top of it?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

replying to JT, Bobby wrote: It may be against code to ut more than two layers of roofing even though it is metal. May look like crap too if the base is not right. Your house is probbly a big investment so protect it by doing the job right.

Reply to
Bobby

Good roofing companies have ways of installing metal roofs just ask for bids.

Reply to
redzap78

It's against code to do more than two layers here.

Another factor is that 2 layers of shingles means the roof is typically

50+ years old. The only way to accurately assess the condition of the decking is by removing the shingles. If there is some rotted decking, he'd be putting a new, expensive metal roof over rotted wood. I'd run from any roofer that offered to do the job that way. I would not even do a second layer, let alone three.
Reply to
trader_4

Did this to my house 10 years ago. Worked fine. No problems since. And the electric bill went down as did the insurance bill.

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper

The constraint of no more than 2 layers is based upon asphalt singles and t he total load on the roof. Regulations vary by state and town. The added cost to remove the shingles and dispose of them shouldn't be too much in th e overall scheme of things. Take the opportunity to examine the decking of the roof and fix any problems now. finding them after the metal installat ion will incur a much higher cost to repair (possibly more than the cost to remove the shingles now).

Also, with only the metal roof, the load capability of the roof will be hig her for things such as snow (if you get snow).

Overall, I would remove any existing roofing prior to installation of the m etal roofing material. You will get a better roof.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 5:53:35 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

the total load on the roof. Regulations vary by state and town. The adde d cost to remove the shingles and dispose of them shouldn't be too much in the overall scheme of things. Take the opportunity to examine the decking of the roof and fix any problems now. finding them after the metal install ation will incur a much higher cost to repair (possibly more than the cost to remove the shingles now).

igher for things such as snow (if you get snow).

metal roofing material. You will get a better roof.

With most metal roofs the buildup of snow is no problem. The smooth surface of the roofs will cause the snow to slide off depending on the angle of the roof.

Reply to
redzap78