Melting Bar Soap?

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.
I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.
Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.
I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.
Is melting bar soap possible?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 04/21/2017 08:11 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reuse-Your-Old-Soap/

You could always just toss the small pieces into your clothes washer and use an appropriately smaller amount of laundry detergent like remember my mother doing many years ago.
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:12:00 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I use glycerine soap. When it gets small I get out a new bar and stick the old fragment down to it with some suds.
Cindy Hamilton
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:44:22 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Same here but I do it with a bar of Dove soap. Theoretically, are we using a 30 year old bar of soap?
:-))
4ax.com:

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never again. It takes hours. What's a bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down to a sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and press the sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.
On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.
--
The left knows the answer is gun control; they just don't know what the
question is.
On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

Yes, it does. I've been doing this for many, many years.

sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

You have too much time on your hands.
On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 6:47:07 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

Takes but a minute or two.

To melt a bunch of soap scraps? Riiight.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Soap Saver" product which is specifically designed for this problem. It's an envelope of the rough type netting (multiple layers) with a draw-string and slip knob closure into which you put the bar soap remnants and then you use it to wash yourself. The remnants soon merge into one chunk to which you can add new remnants as they become available. I haven't thrown out a remnant since I got my first Soap Saver.
The downsides are:
1) the netting is a little too rough for one's intimate parts but seems to be good for legs, arms, shoulders and feet--in fact you feel cleaner. Given this my wife refuses to use it on her "delicate" skin (all her skin is delicate according to her) so she gives me all the remnants. The same netting (but not the Soap Saver) is sold in places like Sephora for general washing so I think the "delicate" problem is in her imagination.
2) the netting joins together at the bottom but it's not well sewn (probably not possible to improve) and the string frays easily,
3) the cost is about $1.99 at the dollar store (much more at the Container Store).
I doubt you save money in the long term but you do avoid the aggravation of trying to wash yourself with little slivers and you have the psychic feeling of saving the planet (something like that) in being economical.
Per snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.gov:

That's the best one so far.
And my wife is a regular Dollar Store shopper... so I guess there is a Soap Saver in my immediate future.
Thanks!
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:12:00 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My wife did that a couple of times and I found the cooked/re-formed soap did not suds well. It works better to soak the sliver with a 3/4 used bar for a couple of hours, stick them together and let it dry overnight.