Melting Bar Soap?

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

philo

You could always just toss the small pieces into your clothes washer and use an appropriately smaller amount of laundry detergent like remember my mother doing many years ago.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I use glycerine soap. When it gets small I get out a new bar and stick the old fragment down to it with some suds.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news:p41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@

4ax.com:

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never again. It takes hours. What's a bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down to a sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and press the sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Same here but I do it with a bar of Dove soap. Theoretically, are we using a 30 year old bar of soap?

:-))

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Yes, it does. I've been doing this for many, many years.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Soap Saver" product which is specifically designed for this problem. It's an envelope of the rough type netting (multiple layers) with a draw-string and slip knob closure into which you put the bar soap remnants and then you use it to wash yourself. The remnants soon merge into one chunk to which you can add new remnants as they become available. I haven't thrown out a remnant since I got my first Soap Saver.

The downsides are:

1) the netting is a little too rough for one's intimate parts but seems to be good for legs, arms, shoulders and feet--in fact you feel cleaner. Given this my wife refuses to use it on her "delicate" skin (all her skin is delicate according to her) so she gives me all the remnants. The same netting (but not the Soap Saver) is sold in places like Sephora for general washing so I think the "delicate" problem is in her imagination.

2) the netting joins together at the bottom but it's not well sewn (probably not possible to improve) and the string frays easily,

3) the cost is about $1.99 at the dollar store (much more at the Container Store).

I doubt you save money in the long term but you do avoid the aggravation of trying to wash yourself with little slivers and you have the psychic feeling of saving the planet (something like that) in being economical.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

My wife did that a couple of times and I found the cooked/re-formed soap did not suds well. It works better to soak the sliver with a 3/4 used bar for a couple of hours, stick them together and let it dry overnight.

Reply to
Ed60062

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in news:8c21dc01-84b9-41bf-b1af- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

You have too much time on your hands.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Takes but a minute or two.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in news:c037cd33-c385-4a80-a2f1- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

To melt a bunch of soap scraps? Riiight.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Per snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.gov:

That's the best one so far.

And my wife is a regular Dollar Store shopper... so I guess there is a Soap Saver in my immediate future.

Thanks!

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

In my experience, it works with Dove, but only under specific conditions:

The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

I shave in the shower and Dove soap in my shaving "cream". When the Dove bar is too small to conveniently use as a shower bar, it becomes my shaving bar. By the time it is too small to use as a shaving bar, the logo is worn off the new bar and the sliver is soft enough to stick.

I've been doing it that way for more years than I can remember.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm well off enough to just throw the soap in the trash can when it gets too small to handle. And, even though I grow a beard, I still shave my neck with *real* shaving cream.

I sometimes wonder how some of you folks can afford to have an Internet connection! [g]

Reply to
RonNNN

I'm just sticking two bars of soap together. I never once mentioned I was melting anything nor a 'bunch.' Reading comprehension is FUNdamental.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Clear writing is also fundamental to comprehension. You replied that you had been doing "this" in a thread titled "Melting Bar Soap" that also discussed sticking bars of soap together, and it's far from clear which of the two practices you referred to.

The purpose of writing is not to be understood; rather, it is to make it impossible to be misunderstood -- and you fall somewhat short of meeting that criterion.

Reply to
Doug Miller