Maytag HVAC / 10 year Warranty?

I am looking at replacing my HVAC with a Maytag system 80 gas furnance

>single stage variable speed and a 12 seer AC. The 10 year warranty is > >enticing. Maytag is a well known name but seems to be a little new to > >HVAC( correct me if I am wrong). I hope I have given enough details for > >some experts to give me their opinion of MAYTAG.
Reply to
scott willett

This is Turtle.

First The name means nothing without a good installer. MayTag , Goodman , Amana , Intertherm , Delta Therm , Miller, Trane, American Standard, and a host of other have the same 10 year warrenty throwed in too. Then a host of other have 5 years everything and 10 years compressor. The 10 year warrenty is a common thing now days.

Now the Amana and Goodman on 12 seer or up have life time warrenty on the compressor.

Now all this said about here. Warrenty is needed only if you don't get a good installer. If given a choice of getting a life time warrenty on everything or get a good installer. i would take the good installer . I shotgun the units and do not recommend any but just listed them.

Now here is what i think here. Look the first thing you should be looking at is the installer and next to the last thing would be the brand. I would take , first a brand that was a pure piece of junk if i knew it was installed by a good installer before i took the best brand know to man installed by a Hack. The installer is the key to a good running system. Warrentys are for people who don't get a good installer or a bad installation. Hacks and bad installers brought on the long warrenty game as it is today.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thank you for your comments. He has done work for me in the past. He put in my basement unit. He could have oversold me more than once because I had some ideas. HE always talked me out of it. He is also concerned about my "air flow" H stated that for this unit to be most effeciant, he need to add a few more vents. I forget which are returns. HE took over 45 minutes in the attick and looking at the lack of air movement. He also wants to up the existign system by one ton. We are in the deep south, Atlanta, and we have problems with the AC unti upstairs. I wanted to go with a 90 gas furnace and he talked me out of it, I also was interested in the 13-14 seer unti and he suggested that the return was not worht the extra money. He suggeted tah the variable sppe fan was where to put the money. WHile all of this is debatable, I was again impressed that he down sold me. We also atend chuch together, HE has a great reputation and is not the cheapest guy around. HE also is by no meansd the most expensive.

Based on what you said and the fact that no -one has any bad thing to say baout Maytag, I am going to go wioth it. Thanks for taking time to reply. Have a great wk end.

Amana , Intertherm ,

the same 10 year warrenty throwed in too. Then a host of

warrenty is a common thing now days.

good installer. If given a choice of getting a life time

installer . I shotgun the units and do not recommend any but

at is the installer and next to the last thing would be

knew it was installed by a good installer before i took

to a good running system. Warrentys are for people who

brought on the long warrenty game as it is today.

Reply to
scott willett

I had a Maytag furnace v/s motor, A coil, 2 stage, 16 seer , 3 ton heat pump, the guys did a super clean install no half ass work, heat pumps keeps house @ 69 degs with outside temp 14 degs. 2300 sq ft ranch. (Nebraska weather)

Most if of the compressor ar manufactured by Nordyne for the most of the manufactures.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

I dont understand that last line...

Are you saying that Nordyne makes the compressor? If so, you are very wrong.

Reply to
CBhvac

Really? I wonder what Tecumseh, Bristol, Copeland, Trane and a few others would say to this! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

what is your second stage? electric? NG? propane?

Reply to
AskMeNot