materials used in natural gas

what type of material can be used in natural gas lines in home use pipe,fittings,ect.

Reply to
pete

That is a very simple question, with a very simple answer. Materials and parts APPROVED for use in residential natural gas installations in your area.

Black iron pipe and fittings are legal pretty well anywhere.Galvanized is approved in some areas for certain use. Soft copper tubing is approved for some use in some locations, under certain conditions. Same for stainless steel flexible courigated tubing. Cast iron and Brass valves and fittings with the proper approval ratings can be used. If it is not rated for gas, you cannot use it. Check with your local building department and gas company.

Reply to
clare

ME TOO!

Reply to
Larry W

+1
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Black iron will always work. Outside the US soft copper is approved some places and it's way easier to work with.

In the US you can also use the covered flexible stainless steel but it does require special fittings on the ends and your inspector may want it done by a licensed contractor. If you do it yourself soap test all the joints.

Reply to
jamesgang

If you do gasfitting with ANY product yourself, soap test all joints. I go one step farther - I soap test under pressure before connecting to the gas and the appliance. Tested my BarBQ line at 150PSI.

Reply to
clare