Natural Gas Run

I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to a workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there is plastic pipe for gas lines ??

I live in south louisiana where it's very humid.

Thanks...

Reply to
Ray

My first choice would be polyethelene pipe that is rated for gas. You can bury black pipe that is coated too, but it is more work and may not last as long. The poly pipe would need to be done by someone that does HVAC work for a living as it usually is not available to the general public. You probably could dig the trench and have them lay the pipe. Another concern would be the size of pipe. At 200 ft you may need to have the gas utility bump your gas pressure up to 2 PSI to get the capacity you will need. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Where I live you could use galvanized, black iron or poly. Poly is out cause no one other that the utility has the tools and parts to work with it. It is not allowed for residences other than the service. Which is utility owned.

galvanized and black iron both need to insulated from the ground. That can be done by tape or foam, here. You should be checking locally to see what the rules are.

You should be contacting a plumber that can help you with the calculation to your new load. Depending on the size of the load you could be running 2 inch or larger pipe.

Reply to
SQLit

There is a fairly new flexible gas hose now available for direct burial. Its yellow in color and comes in various diameters. I once ran a gas line from my meter to a small addition where i used a 50,000 btu input heater ; i ran 3/4" i.d. gas line about 125 feet and it worked fine without increasing gas pressure. Id try running a 3/4" gas line and have someone check the furnace manifold pressure once its installed and running. If it isnt approx. 3.5 " w.c. , then the Gas Co. can bump up the incoming gas pressure.

Reply to
JustCallMe Norman

This is Turtle.

Hey Davey , They don't sell the yellow flex pipe to the public even here in Louisiana.

Also Davie here in Louisiana they have 7 '' wc of pressure and the 3.5 wc your talking about is after the gas valves and not the incoming pressure. You need to read more about gas pressure before advising on it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Most any plumber, or HVAC shop that plumbs gas should be able to do poly underground. Call around. We install a fair amount of poly underground for gas supply to out buildings. Perhaps your codes are differant, but it is allowed here. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Turtle, don't bust him too hard! As his post stated, he did it once! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

This is Turtle.

I'm from Louisiana too and you will have to lay it in the ground atleast 18''+ to be legal. You can use black iron pipe in the size needed by looking at the chart on the website posted here.

The chart only goes so far but if you like to discuss it off group e-mail me here at snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net and remove the xx to make it good. I live in Oakdale, La.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The best source of this information would be the office of the inspector who will have to inspect your installation before burial. Only there can you get the "final word".

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This is Turtle.

OK Dave just call the Gas come to turn the gas pressure up to about 50 psi on the 1/4" tubing and you will be fine.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hey Turtle, I have a question for you, your going to get an email sometime today or tomorrow.

Rich

Reply to
geoman

This is Turtle.

OOOKKK DDDOOOKKKEEE !

Have not received it yet as of 11:30 p.m. 1/05/05 .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I'll Resend it