Matching Pattern on Wood Lathe

I just picked up a used wood lathe at an auction. I used one of these many years back, in high-school woodshop, but thts been years. Actually it did not take long to get the hang of it again. Remembering which tool to use for what was the hardest part. Anyhow, I made a table leg. Pretty basic round thing, tapered toward the bottom with a few decorations.

Here comes the problem. I want to make 3 more that are identical. What is the trick to duplicating them? Obviously I could do it all by measuring and using calipers every fraction of an inch to insure the taper is exactly the same at every 1/4 all the way down the shaft. However, I am thinking there must be an easier way to do this. A template sounds like the ticket, but using hand tools for cutting there is no way to really follow along a template that I can see.

What's the easiest way to do this? I know we never covered the duplication of items in school, not that I recall anyhow.

Weblinks and photos appreciated too.

Crafter

Reply to
Crafter89