major problems; class action lawsuit

Our housing development got a class action lawsuit settlement that amounted to over 15K for each house. The law firm gave us a few hundred pages of possible problems that must be fixed or given notice of to buyers. How would one (me) start to get estimates or evaluate bids? And how can I be sure that the work will be accepted as done correctly by a buyer?

Any other suggestions? Thanks : -)

Reply to
formerly known as 'cat arrange

Hire an pro/general contractor that does such work. Start with item 1 and work through the list. If you have hundreds of pages me thinks that 15k is not enough.

Get the stuff fixed and documented, you may have bought your last home.

Reply to
SQLit

If many of the homes have the same repairs to be done, I would see if I could get a group of homeowners together with the idea of selecting contractors together to do most of them. The advantage should be a somewhat lower price, based on the volume, and the contractor will have experience after a few homes, which should make the job easier for him. Plus other homeowners are the best way to find good contractors.

Regarding documenting the repairs, I'd make sure to get permits/inspections for any work which requires it. Also, save contracts and cancelled checks, and a few pics wouldn't hurt. But once they have been repaired correctly as far as you know, you don't have any obligation to disclose this to future buyers.

Reply to
Chet Hayes