Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage?

Use a less fussy browser.

Works fine for me in the UK without any VPN active. I wonder why they block Spain and not UK?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Security is overrated. I prefer things to work.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That would be insignificant. And we're talking about PEAK usage remember.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They don't lower the voltage that much.

Communism! ARGH!

Even resistive heating is better than a furnace. Except for gas being cheaper for some reason.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No they won't do that, that would allow us to channel flick to a station without ads.

I record or download everything anyway, no ads or fast forward ads.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can't begin to imagine how complicated GFIs are in the US. In the UK, the live should equal the neutral. If it doesn't, it cuts out. But I don't use them anyway. Safety third! I hate false trips.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Incandescent?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ouch, I have enough trouble with my aluminium internet line. Apparently in 1979 aluminium was a lot cheaper than copper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did you make sure the new pipes went through your meter? :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Americans just like to boast. Y'all got 2 phases here! British folk don't do that!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes. Late-70s.

Reply to
John Larkin

Ah, I assumed it wasn't a recount of such a long time ago.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Depends. Do you have 3 phase motors? What's the total kW you can draw? Isn't it annoying to try to share it equally between the phases?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, this was it:

Commander Kinsey

And you would be charged for the meter, and likely criminally charged as well

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The "widow maker" epectric shower-heaters

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You were lucky to have a good "safety ground" which is bonded to the neutral. This is the green wire in American electrical services The "pig" neutral is grounded. and your service panel neutral is grounded. A high resistance ground and a significant load inbalance would cause one side of the panel to go high, and the other low. A low resistance ground and/or a reasonably well balanced load you would not notice the voltage diferential. Broken ground AND neutral?? HUGE problems

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's whet you get for using a paranoid WatchGuard firewall - - - - trying to access American site from Europe

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Wimp. I take it you mean these?

Commander Kinsey

Mmmmmm.... simple UK single voltage, no silly voltages from breakages. You really do not need two different voltages in your house. Why are Americans so terminally stupid? The rest of the f****ng world doesn't this centre tap bullshit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey