Main water valve

Turn off the main water supply but water is still flowing in the house

Reply to
Marni Jackson

Valve is probably worn out or will not seal because of mineral buildup. Common problem as the vales are often not used for years. Solution is usually to have the town come out and turn the water off at the street. replace main valve.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep.

Or if you call a plumber they can turn it off at the street as well.

One thing to try though would be to open it up and try again.

Reply to
philo

Had a friend one time lightly tap the valve with one of those rubber hammers. He did it twice and the second time it worked. His theory was that he dislodged whatever was causing the problem. Mine was that it was

5-6 time he had moved the valve back and forth and that is broke it up enough. Anyway.. one of those things that might work and there appears to be no good reason not to try it.
Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Anyone with a water meter wrench can do it. My father in law got his at Home Depot. He turns the water off at the street whenever he leaves the house for a few days.

Reply to
gfretwell

snip>

One day the water company was to replace the water meter. When I came home from work to take a shower, the water was off. I figured the guy just forgot to turn it back on.

When I went down in the basement the valve was tagged "out of order."

It was off, but due to stripped threads could not be turned back on.

Since it was summer, I said, "what the heck" I put on my swim suit, took it apart and at least got the valve open again.

With water squirting all over the place, I think the Three Stooges would have been proud of me.

I eventually had a plumber replace it as the pipe coming in was lead and I did not know how to deal with it.

Reply to
philo

I once had the main water shutoff start to leak. A plumber came and gave me an estimate of 3K to open the street and shut off the water. (This was in NYC in the 70s.)

A neighbor helped me fix the valve. He spent $5 and bought a chunk of dry ice which we put on the pipe just before the leak, while it was squirting water. The water froze solid, and I opened the valve and replaced the gate with a gate I had lying around.

So, fixed it myself for $5 instead of the plumber for $3000.

The lesson is, there is more than one way to shut off the water.

As for this leak, if the water is leaking out full force, you should say so. Something would be wrong. If it's just a drip, it may be residual water in your pipes.

It always helps if you describe the problem with as much detail as you can provide.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Wow that was worse the the $2000 toilet replacement I was quoted.

Went to Home Depot and bought one for $84

took an hour or so to replace

Reply to
philo

And why not just use the normal main water shutoff valve?

Reply to
catalpa

He had a leak once on the street side of the valve

Reply to
gfretwell

Mental Illness !!!

Reply to