MagicJack question

Go ahead and get one, Wayne. We could use you for an unbiased reviewer. I really hope you get one and get it to work. My money is that you won't give up your current phone. You may find it good enough for a second line. I hope so.

Anyway, I saw a Magic Jack ad today that says they even pay return shipping. I shipped mine back for less than 2.50$

That is all it will cost you to test drive it.

Good luck

You get one, too, Mark Lloyd. I know you are listening. What is

2.50$ ? It kept me entertained for a couple of weeks.
Reply to
metspitzer

SETI is one of many scientific projects available for BOINC.

That would be YETI@home , here's a link:

Mark Lloyd

On 8/16/2008 4:07 PM Mark Lloyd spake thus:

Funny; last night on the local news (the "Bigfoot" crap was announced in a hotel down here in Palo Alto), one station ran a quick debunking of this whole "Yeti" nonsense by Seth Shostak, one of the SETI scientists.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 8/16/2008 4:07 PM Mark Lloyd spake thus:

To be more exact, SETI@home, their "distributed computing" search-for-LGM[1] project.

Here's an amusing account of the Bigfoot press conference from a reporter who was there:

[1] Little green men
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

They spoofed us. Of course, I never expected anything else from "The Bigfoot Hunter" himself.

On Fox News Megan Kelly asked Tom "Bigfoot Hunter" Bascardi.....why not let us have a look at it? He said........when we have the press conference, we want you there. He never came out and said she could see it then, but the implication was that she would be able to see it.

The guy that claims he has it is a Georgia policeman. He and his website have been getting death threats from other Bigfoot hunters.

I don't think for a second that Fox News actually thought they had a Bigfoot, but presented the "expert" as credible in the initial interview. What a crock.

The day of the conference, no one was taking it seriously.

Reply to
metspitzer

It sounds interesting. I guess I'm waiting to see if I hear of any major problems.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Worst case scenario is you will have to pack it up and ship it back.

You might be one of the thousands that plug it in and it works perfectly without giving it any thought.

It would be nice to use you and Wayne as a sample group of 2, and see what percent of the sample group can just plug it in and start making calls. :)

Reply to
metspitzer

On Sun 17 Aug 2008 08:31:10a, Mark Lloyd told us...

I think I'll be waiting a bit too, Mark. It's not really that high on my priority list.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I got MagicJack but when I installed it the pull down menu was blank and I could not select an area code to create a telephone number. I spent 5 days on the phone with the tech support but nothing worked. I returned it and immediately recieved a full refund. It was recommended to me by a friend who has used it for months with no problems.

Reply to
angela.maria.salgado

I had one for a few weeks. Call quality was unpredictable. Sometimes just fine, too often there was a nasty echo, dialed calls rarely went through the first time ("the number you dialed is not a working number) so I got to exercise the REDIAL button on my phone. I also found the popup window on incoming calls annoying as well as having to minimize it on outgoing calls.

My summary: pretty darn slick technology at the right price...but not quite ready for prime time. Regretfully, I sent it back.

Reply to
Runtime Error

I could have put up with hit and miss calling had the voice mail been reliable. It sucked the most. It would have been nice to get an email with the voice recordings of the callers, but that never worked for me. The emails I got with a voice attachment were blank.

Reply to
metspitzer