Lowes vs. HD....

I found the ones in the NE to be quite good and the staff more than helpful. In NE Ohio they were disgusting places. Fortunately there were five Lowes within driving range. The ones around here are OK but the (one) Lowes is better. I like the brands Lowes carries better, too.

That's sorta what I figured but can't prove it.

Yes, this is one of the major advantages of the big box stores. Their return policies are quite customer friendly. Of course they push the cost off to their supplier. My heart bleeds for them.

Reply to
krw

I kind of like leyland cypress for that sort of thing but admittedly, they take up a bit more space.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Many don't sell to the general public.

I haven't seen one of those in a decade.

They're as rare as hens' teeth, too.

Sure. You're living in the past.

Reply to
krw

Wish that were the case by my HD and Lowes. Neither has enough people. When you can't find something, you can't get an answer either.

Most of the stores around here are understaffed.

Reply to
tiredofspam

wow, you do indeed know how to curse. The question is do you know how to speak without cursing? Everyone uses it now and then, but to really prove your an idiot, keep cursing.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Obscenity begets profanity.... pretty much dat simple. Sorta like fighting clean in a street fight -- dudn't make much sense, now, does it? If YOU are not driven to the point of profanity, then you proly don't really understand the true depth of the problem. Toughen up, dood.... it's way past the point of being polite, it's time to get effing mad.

Oh, btw, that would be "you're an idiot", not "your an idiot".... If you want to prove your an idiot, keep on not proofreading you're shit....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Pretty much depends on where you life. Lots of lumberyards, hardware stores and plumbing supply houses.

They wont sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.

They really dont give a shit beyond following corporate rules. Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Thats one of the reasons they offer lower prices than the other stores..and why they try to get folks to do the self checkout. Keeps their personal expenses down.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Some people just don't understand the concept of a WAREHOUSE STORE. Sad, isn't it?

Around here, Lowe's offers a 10% Veteran's discount.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There were lumberyards around here that required a copy of your business license, and tax certificate before you could set up an account. One now has very few customers, and a lot of 'OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!' But after 25+ years of telling people to go away, they are in no hurry to deal with them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 01:05:00 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

And you can get business cards printed all sorts of places. Or at home, even.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Pretty much.

I haven't even seen a real lumber yard or what I'd call a real hardware store in years. I never frequented plumbing supply houses - they didn't like walk-in business so I always avoided them.

I don't know any plumbers. Sorry. Not going to happen. If they don't want my business I'm not going to force them to do business.

Actually, many do. Some would rather not piss off their customers than make what few bucks I'd bring them. I found plumbing houses especially didn't want my business (electrical were much more willing to take my dead presidents).

Reply to
krw

The counter shops that are most selective around here seem to be HVAC suppliers and aluminum wholesalers. They only want to talk to their trades. The other side of this is the "list price" thing. If the counter guy charges cash customers list, you will find it a lot cheaper to go to Home Depot. They make that price artificially high to give their customers (the trades) an ability to mark up materials costs. Your actual price will depend on which column in the price book the counter guy applies to your order. Regular customers with a good volume of sales usually pay 40% of list or less if there os a promotion.

One thing that tends to make you move down that price list is being ready when you get to the counter. Know what you want and order it like you know what you are doing. If you are not a pretty girl, these guys usually will not want to answer dumb questions, particularly if they are busy.

Reply to
gfretwell

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of rejects.

The biggest jerks that I ever ran into were at a HVAC wholesaler. They refused to sell me some duct board about 25 years ago. I asked the manager his full name so he could be mentioned on the air at the TV station, and told him that I didn't want to blame the wrong guy for refusing to sell to a Christian TV station. His eyes went wide, and he yelled at one of his workers to pull what I wanted, then gave me 'D' column pricing. They even loaded it into my truck without being asked. :)

We weren't doing any HVAC work, we needed to block the sides of the water chillers on the transmitter to bring the coolant to normal operating temperature, before we flushed the transmitter and refilled it with distilled water & antifreeze.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let's see the Right has Tricky Dick Nixon and the Left has Slick Willie Clinton. Neither could tell the truth.

Not true. But he's a dead ringer for Alfred E. Neuman.

Reply to
Dick Adams

Correct. Now the far left has Obummer, who makes amateurs of both.

It's the ears. Chimp ears.

Reply to
krw

Anyone who thinks he's a centrist also believes Stalin was a centrist.

Proof: You're an idiot.

Reply to
krw

I can believe that. Just a short wander over though the HVAC NG would have anyone believe that.

Sure. HD is just easer than putting up with the grief. I used to buy from an electrical house, for a while, but it really was more bother than it was worth. That was before HD, and such.

Sure. Human nature.

Reply to
krw

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got there, if picked over. ;-)

That makes three. ;-)

;-)

Reply to
krw