Lowes vs. HD....

You musta missed my response to Lew Hodgett..... HD gets it wrong *without fail*.

But, anyway, what would pass statistical muster, in a HD/Lowes comparison, O Statistical Swami??

Reply to
Existential Angst

True, I have little bad to say about the front-line help, given their abilities. They try, but still, informational and organizational chaos persists.

But I think you cite pure coincidence in the stock price vs. the help. But, holy shit, indeed, the price doubled in one year!!

Which makes the chaos inexcusable. But understandable and perhaps inevitable: HD can now do whateverTF they want, and there's not a fukn thing you or me can do about it.

Well, there is, and PMT nailed it. And I really try to go local, but too often the price differential -- and the irritating convenience of HD -- prevails. Indeed, I watch myself f*ck myself, all too often. We f*ck ourselves, we f*ck each other, and HD laughs hysterically, to/fro the bank.

Reply to
Existential Angst
[snip]

I remember buying a small electronic part that would cost under $1. The salesman couldn't find the price right away, and said "Have a Nice Day". I got that part free.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I quit shopping at HDs. Because the stores have TV monitors with beeping and flashing strobe lights with ME:( on the tv screens as i shop.. In big red letters you are being recorded.

now they can have as many cameras as they want watching me, but I am

55 look like 65 and DONT want to be reminded of it!!!!!!! I refuse to be forced to look at myself and never buy anything from HD....

the trouble is they have cut help to the bone, then wonder why shrinkage goes up.......

Reply to
bob haller

With both Lowes and HD, I check online to see if 1) they have anything close to what I want and 2) if it's in stock in the myriad of stores in the area. In some cases, I've seen that they had adequate stock online only to get over to a specific store and find that somebody's cleaned them out between the time I looked and my arrival. So I go hit another. Must have at least a dozen of each in the area, three or four on the way home from work. For those items they don't carry or for a quick trip, Ace is closer and has more oddball stuff, usually higher prices, too. I can usually get floor droids to answer my questions at both Lowes and HD, the local HDs were hiring guys with trades experience for floor workers at one time. If you're getting crappy service at HD, complain to the head office. Might be a local management change is needed. And the HDs here have self-checkout, no lines at those, usually. Lowes doesn't, but opens up checkouts as needed.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

they did that here in western PA. it resulted in a group picking up high value items thru the store and taking them to the return desk getting gift cards they sold on craiglist. since they never paid for the merchandise to begin with it was all pure profit:(

Reply to
bob haller

Funny home depot incident...

My water heater was dripping I stopped at the ross park mall store north of pittsburgh..

They had almost no gas water heaters in stock so I took the supplied list of heaters to the service desk and asked how much is this one and how soon can you get it in?

the very nice service desk gal said oh thats home depot home services I cant help you mark is on vacation for a week please come back then.... even with the SKU number she refused to give me a price:(

I had the home depot customer support number in my phone they said no problem allison park store 15 minutes away has it in stock they have

3.... do you want to put one on hold?

I picked it up a hour later........

Reply to
bob haller

----------------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- "Existential Angst" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:

Arbor Vitaes are garbage shrubs.

Grow like weeds and are difficult to trim and maintain.

Have a useful life of about 10 years if you're lucky.

About the only thing they have going for them is cost.

They are dirt cheap compared to Yews or similar shrubs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just curious, isn't there any one here from the Midwest that is familiar with Menards? Although our main shopping is done approximately 40 miles from where we live, there is a Menards and Lowes within three blocks of each other in that community. The closest HD is about 65 miles from my home thus I visit it less often. Of course I have been to all of them many times and Menards is still my favorite by far.....they have a tendency to hire individuals that actually have a clue as to what they are selling.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Per Lew Hodgett:

Might be a location/climate thing.

I took a bunch of cuttings from my parent's house at the Jersey shore, planted them along the sides of our house about 30 years ago and they've been doing fine ever since with little or no attention. *Really* poor soil: solid shale with a few inches of clay and rocks over it.

OTOH, maybe the deer feeding on them over the winter has something to do with the low maintenance..... -)

I wake up at nite sometimes when I leave the window open to "Chomp, chomp, slurp, slurp.....". First time it about scared me to death.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Stanley Schaefer:

On credit card sales under $50, our HD does not even want a signature.

OTOH, the Lowe's I used to go to has the poorest checkout scheme I've ever seen. Ironically, it is across from Target - which has the fastest, slickest checkout scheme I have seen.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in news:wMCdnY_dqaBYSyPNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

...And if you see me in a Home Depot (or Lowe's) I have hit rock bottom and have no other choice.

Reply to
Larry

My old gas powervent water heater was leaking so I called the local plumbing company. I gave them the diameter and height measurements over the phone. An hour later, they show up with a new Lochinvar heater. Another 90 minutes after that and the new one is installed and heating.

Reply to
Randall Stevenson

-------------------------------------------------------------- My comments based on events in NE Ohio (Metro Cleveland) which has weather similar to NJ, but probably closer to CT.

Soil was basically clay that had the top soil stripped during construction of the development.

Lots of mulch along with some fertilizer helped things along.

No deer to keep things trimmed back then.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Someone has some brains. If I just need a single something plumbin-wize I'll go to HD, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware. If I need anything specialized or any amount, it's over to Marks Supply.

Electrical? Little stuff, the above. Anything specialized or any amout

- over to Guilevans orWesco or whatever.

Hardware? depends - usually Home Hardware or Canadian Tire - HD if I'm headed that direction -

Reply to
clare

There's actually a whole branch of math that deals in optimal strategies for managing checkout lines and the like. Google "Queuing Theory".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not at ALL impressed with Delta, myself. I like Price Pfister - have had very good results with their products over the years. The old Waltec stuff was good too.

Reply to
clare

Locally, Kitchener Waterloo Ontario, at least six

Reply to
clare

You're doing it again, Mr. IKWYABWAI.

Reply to