Low Water Pressure Options

Hi Everyone.

I have an old house - circa 1920, and have 1/2" water pipes throughout the house, and a 3/4" main that was replaced within the past 5 years. My problem is that, with 1/2" pipes, a faucet turned on downstairs will affect the flow while someone is in the shower upstairs.

Apart from changing all the pipes to 3/4" to increase overall flow throughout the house - an option that is going to be extremely expensive and invasive, I would like to see if there are any other options. For example, is there a whole-house pump that I can attach near the main that can increase the water pressure in my house in order to avoide the impacts I mentioned above?

Reply to
greatyetiofthenorth

I just replaced hot water pipe that was from the 40s that was so corroded only a dribble came through, you couldnt even see through a

4" section cut out. Increasing pressure on old pipe is asking for trouble, Replacing with Cpvc and Pvc is easy and cheap. Usualy the HW gets clogged first, but it could be another issue, a clog somewhere. Is HW ok, is it all the same age, what is water pressure incomming.
Reply to
ransley

Before investing in any pumps or re-piping, I would do some investigating and experimenting.

Get a pressure gauge of some kind. There are ones that will attach to a hose bibb, for example.

Measure the pressure as close to where the service comes in as possible. See if that remains fairly steady when water is used elsewhere.

Follow the service line in the house to see if there is a pressure reducing valve (regulator).

Find out what kind of piping was run to the various fixtures (baths, kitchen). If it is galvanized iron (common in 1920), no amount of pumping will help if they are clogged with rust.

If the piping has been replaced, look for some remnant of iron piping (just one fitting would be enough) which could be affecting the flow.

That's just a starting point. Do the detective work and post back what you find.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim