Low splash bleach

I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

You find that out real fast if you have a pool or a spa. You even notice the concentrates break down pretty quick

Reply to
gfretwell

After my post, I found out that the low splash bleach has a bunch of detergent mixed in it and is only about 2% bleach as opposed to regular bleaches 6% hypochlorite.

After no needing paper towels for 4 months, I as surprised that paper towels are running $1 a roll.

And you don't save any buying the larger number of rolls.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

In fact it starts to degrade as soon as its made.

That’s wrong too.

Everything you buy is in a diluted form.

Reply to
Rod Speed

sci.chem is still very active.

So I shouldn't have high hopes for the bleach I bought 20 years ago? At 10% a year for 20 years, it should be -100% effective, so it will make the clothes darker, maybe dirtier.

What did they used to be?

Reply to
micky

Someone doesn't know how percentages work.

I know you were trying to be funny, but math illiteracy isn't really that funny.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Of course at ten percent per, it would remain somewhat effective forever.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

That reminds me of a joke.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Given that the number of molecules in a container is finite, that would be just short of forever.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Dan Espen was thinking very hard :

Interesting, how long would it take to get to the last few effective molecules which can't be decimated? Would they remain effective? If so, how long?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Nope, they all break down eventually, its that unstable.

Varys with the temperature etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Above a poster claims bleach looses 20% each year. If there is one molecule of bleach left it should be gone after 5 years.

My guess is that other factors may come into play. The bleach is probably protected by the liquid that surrounds it. So, the last few molecules to go might go a bit more slowly. Still, forever is plenty long to overcome minor issues like that.

Reply to
Dan Espen

If you start with 100 and reduce that by 20% every year. Year 1, 80 Year 2, 64 Year 3, 51.2 Year 4, 40.96 Year 5, 32.77

Pretty weak but still plenty to screw up your clothes if you spill it.

Reply to
gfretwell