Loud whistling sound from plumbing system

Hi all,

When we turn on the water anywhere in the house, there is a loud whistling sound which sometimes is ear piercing. While the water is running in one area and another faucet (or shower) is turned on, the sound disappears. The house has two stories, built in early 1970s, and has copper plumbing. Until now, we've never had any plumbing problems. I assume this a water pressure problem. Would really appreciate any suggestions on how fix it.

Thanks

Reply to
WesternAnalytical

Do a process of elimination.

If city water, see if there is a pressure regulator (PRV) on the service. If so, see if it is making the sound.

Close the shutoff valves to each toilet and see if that cures it. If it does, isolate further. Ballcocks (toilet fill valves) sometimes create these effects.

If still no cause found, look for more clues; try closing other parts of the system, shut off appliances, etc.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Your disk might be vibrating, as if it's loose. Have your plumber look at it.

tom @

Tom The Great