Looking to light up my thermostat

I have a regular honeywell programable thermostat for heat on my wall. In t he dark, well it is dark. Any suggestions to get some light on it? I can tu rn on room lights but im just looking to see where the temp is in the middl e of night when passing by to take a leak for instance. I can drill and sol der away but if there is a ready to go item im in.

Reply to
Thomas

Battery operated, rechargeable, motion sensor LED wall light? Something like this?

Stormin' Norman

My programmable thermostat has a built-on light...of course in a pitch black room, the button is hard to see.

I usually read it by the light of my smartphone

Reply to
philo

Put a motion activated light in the hall. You will wonder how you lived without it. I have motion lights all over the house and they light your path wherever you go, turning off when you leave.

Reply to
gfretwell

My Honeywell programable thermostat (a VisionPro TH8000 Series) has a backlight for the screen. It normally is dim, then brightens when a key is pressed.

I do not have any backup batteries in the thermostat. It is only powered by the a/c unit.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Doing an Amazon search:

Finds that only the $20 model doesn't have a backlight. Speed $44 and you get a backlight.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

LED pocket flashlight. $1 at Walmart. Comes with a strap, so put a hook on the wall next to the 'stat for hanging the flashlight.

Reply to
Paintedcow

ote:

n the dark, well it is dark. Any suggestions to get some light on it? I can turn on room lights but im just looking to see where the temp is in the mi ddle of night when passing by to take a leak for instance. I can drill and solder away but if there is a ready to go item im in.

wall+led

ote:

n the dark, well it is dark. Any suggestions to get some light on it? I can turn on room lights but im just looking to see where the temp is in the mi ddle of night when passing by to take a leak for instance. I can drill and solder away but if there is a ready to go item im in.

wall+led

This could do it. Ill look at more detail. Thanks

Reply to
Thomas

Ditto. And the one I have, has the option of 'all the time' dark, low light or bright. Of course, it brightens when a 'key' is hit. Mine is dim light all the time until a button is pressed.

Reply to
Art Todesco

n the dark, well it is dark. Any suggestions to get some light on it? I can turn on room lights but im just looking to see where the temp is in the mi ddle of night when passing by to take a leak for instance. I can drill and solder away but if there is a ready to go item im in.

I have one two. When it's battery powered only, the backlight only comes on when you touch it. If it's powered via the furnace AC transformer, then it's constantly lit at a low level, comes to full brightness when you touch it. Mine, like yours, is AC powered and I can easily read it at night. To power it from the furnace transformer requires one additional wire, which any given installation may or may not have. Sometimes there is a spare wire in the cable that you can put into service. IDK how many wires they typically run for new installs, but with two stage heat, two stage cooling, backlighting, etc, it can take more wires than it used to.

Reply to
trader_4

Hopefully whatever mechanism they use to provide the lighting does not cause any heat to confuse the thermostat...

Reply to
hrhofmann

Mine is like that too. The backlight has a timeout, but I found an option to leave it on dim (as long as 24V power is present).

[sig with missing delimiter snipped]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I used to have a normal mechanical thermostat with 4 wires.

When I got the new system in 2013, it needed 7 wires. 2-stage heat and cool, as well as 24V power. I have a 10-wire cable in there (3 extra wires for the future).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

the dark, well it is dark. Any suggestions to get some light on it? I can turn on room lights but im just looking to see where the temp is in the mid dle of night when passing by to take a leak for instance. I can drill and s older away but if there is a ready to go item im in.

We keep a small LED flashlight on a shelf next to the thermostat. We keep a small LED flashlight on the counter next to the programmable coffee maker. We keep a small LED flashlight on the counter next to the wall calendar. We keep small LED flashlights scattered around the house and garage.

I have no problem admitting it: I'm getting older and my eyes are getting tired.

As Kurt Vonnegut so profoundly says in Slaughterhouse-Five: "So it goes."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Take a look at:

$4.45

Reply to
Bennett

I agree. All mine are the black cylindrical ones free from Harbor Freight. Some like their free blue ones, but I prefer the black cylinders.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

One of the black ones has SWMBO's name on it, written in White-Out. I'm not allowed to use that one, but I am required to change the batteries when they get weak.

Thus the term: SWMBO

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Done and thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Thomas

Who are you responding to?

Oh...right...you don't quote the posts that you respond to so we have no idea who you are talking to.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thomas, you are more than welcome. When you decide on a solution, would you check back in and let me know what you selected?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman