looking for match for vinyl flooring

Hello everyone, and please excuse me for cross-posting to several newsgroups.

I plan to expand my kitchen flooring into an adjoining area. Currently, the kitchen covering is vinyl flooring which was installed in the late nineties (or possibly only a year or two ago). I would like to obtain vinyl flooring of a matching pattern.

Are there resources, either online or in the real world, which would help me to

- a) identify the flooring pattern b) locate someone who sells it?

I haven't taken up any of the existing kitchen flooring - should I expect to find a pattern name or at least manufacturer's name on the reverse side?

Many thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Best - krnntp

Reply to
KR

Sales of vinyl flooring are down 50% over the last few years because people are moving to laminate instead. Your chance of finding the floor is pretty slim unless it is extremely popular and a different batch will not match colorwise.

Currently, the kitchen covering is vinyl flooring which was installed in the late nineties (or possibly only a year or two ago). I would like to obtain vinyl flooring of a matching pattern.

expect to find a pattern name or at least manufacturer's name on the reverse side?

Reply to
Art Begun

kitchen covering is vinyl flooring which was installed in the late nineties (or possibly only a year or two ago). I would like to obtain vinyl flooring of a matching pattern.

find a pattern name or at least manufacturer's name on the reverse side?

You'd have to have really good luck. You could check around with some local dealers, but even if you find the same pattern, it won't likely be out of the same batch so it won't match exactly.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Check your local tile & vinyl store and see if that's a common feature. Keep in mind that adhesives and time may obsure the information, if it's there.

Take a clear picture of the pattern, and take *that* to the floor store. You might luck out with an experienced clerk/owner who'd recognize it. Otherwise, I seem to remember looking through a zillion catalogues and samples when I was choosing floor covering.

Reply to
Frogleg

the kitchen covering is vinyl flooring which was installed in the late nineties (or possibly only a year or two ago). I would like to obtain vinyl flooring of a matching pattern.

to find a pattern name or at least manufacturer's name on the reverse side?

Unless you have a really good memory, take a color picture closeup of the pattern, along with a tracing paper rubbing of one 'repeat' of the pattern, and start cruising the local flooring companies and look for a match. The bigger the warehouse, the better the odds they will still have a roll out back. If current floor is only edge glued, and you can roll back a corner, there should be a brand and lot number on the back every so often.

But having said that- the raw stock cost of vinyl floor is only a small part of the installed cost. How were you going to do the transition from the existing floor to the new area? Getting that looking right with stock from a different batch, especially if the old floor is sun faded, smoke stained, etc, may be impossible. I'd just get estimates from 2-3 local companies to put fresh down over the entire area. I do recommend laying vinyl yourself- it is harder than it looks, and experience and the right tools make a big difference in how the final work looks, and how long it lasts. (He said from sad and embarrassing personal experience on more than one previous attempt.) Note that install price can be reduced if you do any needed trim removal and floor patching/leveling before they get there.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers