Glue for Vinyl?

OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

Reply to
sweetheart

Will you need an adhesive that is suitable for damp conditions?

Reply to
ARW

Or to handle heavy loads...? Like a bridge with goats on maybe?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Gluing to old tiles. Hmm not sure that is a very good idea. Just be careful you don't trip over the corners when they start to curl up! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also is there a skirting board or any kind of cavities where built in furniture does not quite fit. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can you suggest a brad of glue?

The kitchen is afitted one. All the units have been taken out and are now being replaced. Those plus the the appliances will hold most of the vinyl in place.

Personally I wouldnt bother to glue atall. I never have in the past ( took an old vunyl up to lay this).

All it needs is a permimeter glue across the one side . Its mostly laid on wooden floor boards. Tiles are stuck firm, hence they have been left. Ifthey havent come up in 58 years, I doubt they will come up now.

All I need is a glue type and brand.

I am surprised people here are generally quite helpful. I shall put the rude comments down to your all having had too much beer and party time today.

Thanks in advance for help in naming a glue I can get.

Reply to
sweetheart

I would not use glue as such. But I would stick it down as needed.

DSST

Reply to
polygonum

Flooring adhesive, strangely enough. But not the stuff used for wood to wood. It will take a bit longer to dry on a non porous surface..

Dave Plowman (News)

Really the old tiles want to come up and also the ply under it. A garden spade is a good tool

It's normal to nail down plywood over floorboards before laying the tiles Stops the joint showing and the floorboards moving In the dim and distant past I have used Evostick Impact adhesive.on vinyl tiles. There may be something better now.

Reply to
harryagain

Any impact adhesive will do.

Reply to
stuart noble

Prick Stick

Reply to
ARW

Yes, I've used that (double-sided sticky-tape).

Reply to
S Viemeister

Good idea. Pack of 3 rolls from Poundland

Reply to
stuart noble

:-)

I knew someone would understand.

Reply to
polygonum

+1

-1. My experience of Poundland sticky tapes is that the sticky isn't very long-lasting.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'd quite like one of those for christmas too.

Don't yet know which room I am going to put the kitchen in yet though. The current one has ceramic tiles laid over carpet.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Probably best if you get the room as hot as possible and close all doors and windows whilst you're in there.

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

OK as long as the glue is water based ;-) Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Evostick contact adhesive - or you could try one of the thixotrophic ones if you need time to align things up.

BTW, buy it in 5, 21/2, 1 or 1/2 litre tubs rather than tubes. ;-)

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Glued in place, or loose laid?