Load capacity of 200-amp panel (2024 Update)

Good info Terry

Reply to
yatabata03

Okay I own a tanning salon. I currently have a 200amp box. All the beds ru n on 230.

Is it ever possible in any way to run 225 amps of beds at the same time? Ca n I put a bigger main breaker box for example? I just need a smidge more a mps and cant really afford or justify changing the entire service over 20-2

5 more amps. At most I would only be at that 225 max amp draw for 15 mins a t a time etc.

Current Bed configuration:

Bed #1 = 20amp draw Bed #2 = 20amp draw Bed #3 = 55amp draw Bed #4 = 55amp draw Bed #5 = 20amp draw Bed #6 = 20amp draw

----------------------------- Current total amp draw from beds = 190 amp draw

Everything works fine with this configuration but I want to REMOVE a 20amp draw bed and replace it with a 55amp draw bed, which will make the new amp draw 225amps at any point where all 6 beds happen to be turned on at the sa me time. Just find it hard to believe that my only option would be to have the city re run a total new service over 25 amps.

Can this be done and if so can it be done safely?

Reply to
Jinxer

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 10:23:53 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote :

Can I put a bigger main breaker box for example? I just need a smidge more amps and cant really afford or justify changing the entire service over 20

-25 more amps. At most I would only be at that 225 max amp draw for 15 mins at a time etc.

p draw bed and replace it with a 55amp draw bed, which will make the new am p draw 225amps at any point where all 6 beds happen to be turned on at the same time. Just find it hard to believe that my only option would be to hav e the city re run a total new service over 25 amps.

You can't put 5 1/2 gallons of crap into a 5 gallon pail. Why is it so hard to believe that when you've reached the service capacity limit, you've reached the limit? You need a bigger main breaker, probably a new panel too, unless it's rated for over 200A, and a utility service that's greater than 200A, whatever your choice is for how much larger you want to go.

However, are you sure you're really pulling what you posted? IDK where those draws you posted came from. Are they measured or from the eqpt labels? If it's labels, it's possible the actual draw is somewhat less, as the label would be worst case, startup, etc. If so, you might squeak by with the current 200A service, assuming all the beds don't turn on at the same time, hit their peak reqt number at the same time, etc. You could measure what is actually being used and see.

Reply to
trader_4

All the amp draws are being taken directly from the breaker in the breaker box as the bed is running.

Reply to
Jinxer

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 10:58:34 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote :

r box as the bed is running.

For example I have a ladder that says MAXIMUM weight capacity is 275lbs. I weigh 300lb and can stand on it without it breaking. So wasnt sure if the

200 amp load capacity was similar in the fact that they recommend not going over but if you did a little wouldnt be end of world.
Reply to
Jinxer

I find it hard to believe too. The city does not do that stuff, the electric company does. Or you do, depending on what has to be replaced.

If you don't want to upgrade, there are work-arounds. the first step is to check your fire insurance coverage. Get business interruption insurance too. Check fire exits for the safety of your customers running out from those beds too. Tell them to keep a robe at hand in case of evacuation. Oh, unless you have a stand alone building check what liability you have if the neighbors burn too.

Can you put in a bigger main breaker? That is determined by the wire size feeding the panel and the rating of the panel.

You really need an evaluation by an electrician to see what real draw is and what potential you have.

I find it a bit surprising that people still expose themselves to potential side affects from tanning. Do you refer the customers to a cancer doctor for their melanoma?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well then, if you want to run all that plus the new bed at the same time, you need a service, a panel, a main breaker that are over 200A, with 300A likely being the next available choice.

Reply to
trader_4

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 11:04:01 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote :

te:

ker box as the bed is running.

I weigh 300lb and can stand on it without it breaking. So wasnt sure if th e 200 amp load capacity was similar in the fact that they recommend not goi ng over but if you did a little wouldnt be end of world.

There are curves that show how long it takes for a given breaker to trip versus the excess current going through it. A large overload, eg a direct short, a typical breaker trips in milliseconds. If you only overload it by 10% it will take much longer, probably many minutes, but it still will trip. In short, when it comes to this, you really can't put more than 5 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket, at least not continuously.

Reply to
trader_4

I believe the whole "sun exposure causes melanoma" is junk science and that skin cancer is actually caused by eating refined carbohydrate junk foods.

FWIW, I find it a bit surprising that people still expose themselves to potential side affects from eating wheat and sugar.

Reply to
joe

Safety factors work both ways. If a ladder is designed to have a working load of 275, it probably will hold a lot more with out breaking. That is the safety factor. It sort of factors in that all materials may not hold up the same load. If the ladder is made of wood, the wood can vary in strength by many factors, so you rate the load for the minimum usual strength.

The breakers and wiring are rated in reverse. The wires can handle lots more current,but to be safe they are rated at a lower capacity. Breakers so not trip at execrtally the marked value as pointed out. The

200 amp breaker may carry 201 amps for many hours and never trip, or it may trip at 295 amps after a week. Teh temperature in the box will play a small part in the trip point. It is usually better to have the electrical devices trip at a slight underload than a slight overload.

You should not push the limits of the breakers to the max. If you are drawing over 180-200 amps all the time (or for even 10 to 20 minutes at a time) you should be using a 250 amp serviee or more.

The tanning benches were mentioned, but are any other usages going on in the same place such as lights, computers,ect ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Well thank for letting us know. If the doctor has any questions I'll just have him contact Joe on the internet for the facts.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

rote:

breaker box as the bed is running.

bs. I weigh 300lb and can stand on it without it breaking. So wasnt sure i f the 200 amp load capacity was similar in the fact that they recommend not going over but if you did a little wouldnt be end of world.

Good point. It is the reverse.

From the typical curves I've seen, a 200A breaker will trip in minutes or less at 295.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm thinking that was a typo and should have been 205.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just a little real world. I was just working on an air handler that was tripping a 25a breaker after a minute. The combined motor and 10kw heat strip load was 44.5a with the 10k kicking in about 20 seconds after the motor started.

The wiring was right but the moron installing the unit swapped the condenser and air handler breakers (60 and 25)

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, typo. Should have been 205, a lot closer to the rated amps of the breaker.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Correlation is not causation but remote tribes of people who don't eat the standard American diet and live out in the sun are the healthiest people on the planet.

And while you're at it, have your pharmaceutical-pushin doctor read this:

Bill

You might get away with it if you have no lights or other loads. Better buy a battery operated clock!!

Reply to
clare

That depends - in some areas the city IS the power company. (or at least owns it)

In commercial buildings often the feed can handle a much larger panel

- and occaisionally a panel can handle a bigger breaker - but you cannot legally install a larger breaker than the panel is rated for, even if it will physically fit.

Reply to
clare

More likely it was supposed to read 195.

Reply to
clare

Can I put a bigger main breaker box for example? I just need a smidge mor e amps and cant really afford or justify changing the entire service over 2

0-25 more amps. At most I would only be at that 225 max amp draw for 15 min s at a time etc.

mp draw bed and replace it with a 55amp draw bed, which will make the new a mp draw 225amps at any point where all 6 beds happen to be turned on at the same time. Just find it hard to believe that my only option would be to ha ve the city re run a total new service over 25 amps.

He could find the make and model of the breaker and look up it's trip curve.

Reply to
trader_4