Living without a garbage disposal

  1. You've never had kids apparently. Plus, some things just stick to food prep bowls and utensils. Water just cleans things faster.
  2. Bend over the trash scraping all night? No thanks. My back will thank me. Besides, there's more to spill, and not all things just scrape off. Some things have to be scoured off with hot water, and detergent in the sink.
  3. See #2. Certain things adhere to cooking surfaces more tenaciously, such a certain rice dishes, melted cheese, or broiled dishes. And again, water flushes debris off faster.
  4. Why peel, and then painstakingly transfer every last bit slop? How slooooooow. People don't want to use their fingers to transfer slop not only because of rotten or moldy discarded portions or peelings of food, but because of fresh meat juices and the possible bacterial contamination (salmonella, etc.) Plus there is just the ick factor of slimy, filthy discard, and the resultant unnecessary handwashing versus using a disposal.

Garbage disposals are a big time and money saver, and keep the kitchen cleaner and less smelly. Since I always buy a quality unit, I've have zero problems. If you've had maintence issues, maybe you should try a different make or model or realize that decades-old data is very dated.

Reply to
mike

re: Seeds, silverware, bits of food processors, etc.

Can't speak to seeds as they've never been a problem in my disposal.

As to silverware and bits of food processors, etc. they quit being a problem as soon as I installed an InSinkErator.

The rubber drain cover is designed to stop items from sliding down the drain.

My old Kenmore was notorious for letting items go down the drain, and it's design was so poor that it made things even worse as it got older. The Kenmore's rubber cover installed between the disposal and the sink - it was not removable. To get things out of the disposal, you had to force your hand into the disposal, past the cover, which eventually wore it out and ripped it. I just replaced my mom's Kenmore and her cover looked just like my old one did - ripped and tattered.

Once it was ripped, you could drop a can of peas down the the hole!

The InSinkErator designed their cover to be easily removable by the user which means it will be easy to replace if it ever gets damaged - but I don't how it could be since you never have to force your hand through it. You just pop it out of the drain if you want to remove it.

In addition, it's sound reducing baffles let the water and debris flow through, but you would have to physically push a utensil or "bits of food processors" past them to get them down the drain. It really is an ingenious design.

Maybe you could buy one of these for your sister and see if it fit's her sink:

DerbyDad03

LMMFAO!!

Reply to
Steve Barker

re: "Perhaps if you didn't eat "slimy, filthy" food, touching it wouldn't send you into a panic attack"

I'll mention that to the dogs. Wanna clean their bowls with your hands? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Groundskeeper Willie? Is that you? I couldn't distinguish your Scottish accent via text! I always wondered why you cleared clogged toilets with your bare hands rather than using a plunger.

BTW, I don't eat rotten, moldy or slimy discarded portions of food. Do you? Does that make you feel manly?

Reply to
mike

For those who haven't seen the Simpson's:

Lisa: Oh, my God! These are the answers to the test. I don't wanna cheat. Nelson: Hey, hey! These are study aids. They're for novelty purposes only. If a few bad apples use them for cheating, I can't be held responsible. Lisa: Forget it, I'd rather get a zero. Groundskeeper Willy (with hand down toilet): Good fer you lass, I got me a zero once and ma' life turned oot just fine. Och, woa-ho, that's a nasty clog. Ooooo ye've got yourself a partner have ye ? Lisa (to Nelson): Keep the change. Groundskeeper Willy: Come here ye slippery rascals !

Reply to
mike

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

Why would you throw out dog food? Don't they eat it all? You must be feeding them shit. And why do you throw out vegetable peelings? Just put them in the compost pile.

Reply to
ktos